Pick up the newest version here.

Moderators: Jesse, parametric

Maax555
New User
New User
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

Firmware Update

Post by Maax555 »

Hi Guys, is the only way to update the firmware to use CF Card. If so i think I read that 4MB was max size we could use, is this still the case?
Cubase 9.5 Pro. PC-11900K, Asus RStrix Z590, 32GB RAM, NVME M.2 4.0 drive.
Steinberg UR44, N.I. KK S61MKii, Komplete Ultimate 12, Omnisphere 2.6, Several Steinberg VST, Korg Legacy VST, Steinberg CMC Controllers, Presonus Atom Controller, Se X1 Mic, Adam Monitors/Sub. Alesis Fusion 8HD, ESP-LTD EC-256 Guitar, Ibanez Bass GSR200
hadley
General
General

Re: Firmware Update

Post by hadley »

If your Fusion reports the OS version less than 1.24, then you need a CompactFlash card so that you can flash the latest ROM.

If your Fusion is already at version 1.24 then you don't really need a CompactFlash card for anything.

I think 128 MB is the minimum card size, to perform a ROM update.

4GB is the max size the Fusion will use. The card can be used to store programs and samples, but it's a bit pointless as you can just store them on the hard drive.
Maax555
New User
New User

Post by Maax555 »

Many thanks, mine is at 1.20 I will have a look on Amazon now and hopefully find one for delivery tomorrow. I'd anyone has any links Amazon or otherwise I would appreciate it.
Steinberg UR44, N.I. KK S61MKii, Komplete Ultimate 12, Omnisphere 2.6, Several Steinberg VST, Korg Legacy VST, Steinberg CMC Controllers, Presonus Atom Controller, Se X1 Mic, Adam Monitors/Sub. Alesis Fusion 8HD, ESP-LTD EC-256 Guitar, Ibanez Bass GSR200
Maax555
New User
New User

Post by Maax555 »

So have found this 4GB card available for next day delivery. I will go for this unless any one advises against it?

Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

Yes, the largest size CF card the fusion can read is 4GB-and it should be formatted as FAT32, then in the Fusion., although I haven't tried to format a card with EXT or NTFS, then with the fusion-I suspect if you do that, the Fusion might not "see" the card, but I'm not sure. Formatting it in the fusion installs the file/folder structure on the CF card. Here is a pdf describing how you can install the basic operating system directly from the hard drive. it can be done in case your CF card gets corrupted and doesn't work.
Attachments
Alesis Fusion OS version 1.24 operating system only for install on Fusion’s Hard Drive .pdf
(61.09 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Maax555
New User
New User

Post by Maax555 »

Jokeyman123 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:17 pm Yes, the largest size CF card the fusion can read is 4GB-and it should be formatted as FAT32, then in the Fusion., although I haven't tried to format a card with EXT or NTFS, then with the fusion-I suspect if you do that, the Fusion might not "see" the card, but I'm not sure. Formatting it in the fusion installs the file/folder structure on the CF card. Here is a pdf describing how you can install the basic operating system directly from the hard drive. it can be done in case your CF card gets corrupted and doesn't work.
Hi, Thanks for this. The document mentions only USB, so does this mean i dont actually need a CF card and it can be done over USB.
Also mentioned is it will not upgrade the ROM sound files, is there such an upgrade for sound files and does upgrading the firmware to 1.24 cause any issues if the ROM sound files are not upgraded. Sorry all the questions, total newby with the 8HD.
Jesse
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jesse »

The ROM sound files can only be installed or repaired using the CF card with the Fusion
Tempus & Ludwig Drums, Roto Toms, Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire Mixer, AKG D112, Behringer B2, Shure Beta 58a Microphones, Windows 10, Audigy Soundcard, Audition 3, Sony MDR-7506 Headphones, Kontakt 6 & East West Goliath Sound Banks
Maax555
New User
New User

Post by Maax555 »

Jesse wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:41 pm The ROM sound files can only be installed or repaired using the CF card with the Fusion
Ok, so I currently have Boot Version 1.02, OS Version 1.22 and Sound ROM Version 1.22

I have the OS 1.24 downloaded and ready to go, do I just need USB as per document for this?
If I need the other two updating are they available on here?

thanks
Jesse
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jesse »

Tempus & Ludwig Drums, Roto Toms, Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire Mixer, AKG D112, Behringer B2, Shure Beta 58a Microphones, Windows 10, Audigy Soundcard, Audition 3, Sony MDR-7506 Headphones, Kontakt 6 & East West Goliath Sound Banks
Maax555
New User
New User

Post by Maax555 »

Jesse wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:31 pm You will need the CF card https://www.alesismusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2395
Hi Jesse, i cant view this as I get a message saying I am not authorised?
Jesse
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jesse »

Maax555 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:19 pm
Jesse wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:31 pm You will need the CF card https://www.alesismusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2395
Hi Jesse, i cant view this as I get a message saying I am not authorised?
Try it now I believe it will work :)
Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

This might help too-took off Fusioneer proboards.

https://fusioneer.proboards.com/thread/ ... -song-card

Jesse-I know this is a little redundant, but....encapsulates a few of these ideas about CF cards, file/folder structures.
hadley
General
General

Post by hadley »

Just so it is clear, there are three things that can be flashed on the Fusion:

Boot ROM
OS ROM
Sound ROM

Alesis never provided us any Boot ROM files. As far as I know nobody has ever updated the boot ROM.

The Fusion OS ROM is approximately 2.9 MB. There are menus somewhere under Global both to create a dump of your current OS ROM, and to update your Fusion OS ROM from a file either on the Fusion Hard Drive or on a CompactFlash card.

The Sound ROM can only be updated by placing the 65 MB update image (which includes both the OS ROM and Sound ROM) on a CompactFlash card and start up the Fusion with a couple of buttons held down.
Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

Hadley-that is correct. The boot rom-this is the one that i think is locked-like the bootloader when you want to "root" or 'crack" a smartphone. I think it is part of the ROM-not sure i do not know how to interpret what I see in any hex editor-and like a smartphone, I'm sure a good coder-a really good coder-could unlock it. What we do with it from there again I'm not sure anything can be done. and i think even if the boot rom could be dis-assembled-we might still not be able to get into the full firmware porgramming code. Again-once you root a phone-you still have to flash a new rom into it to get it to work. Considering how complex this fusion OS is, and with copyrights still possibly in existence from alesis/numark, this is looking more and more like a longshot unfortunately. CC messages are there-psionic from years back has a post here as to the fusion's control changes and the accessibility of these through external gear or software-its the sysex that is probably not there and has prevented anyone from creating a full useable software librarian/editor, that and not having any idea what the fusion's hardware device ID is, or if there ever was one-its a crapshoot. I can't do it, but maybe someone can. Then again, with direct access to the full program/multi/samples from the hard drive through the computer USB connection or CF card-I suppose the developers thought a software librarain would not be necessary.
Maax555
New User
New User

Post by Maax555 »

Flashed successfully :-) I did initially struggle as I simply popped the card in with the update (while switched off) and then went into system and chose to update from there. This appeared to be working but when I restarted the upgrade had not happened. I then did it from diagnostics mode which worked first time. Now to check out the posts on upgrading the memory. I see we can apparently add a maximum of 64MB and need two modules. Is this still relevant and correct or did some bright spark figure out how to get above this?

Also SSD upgrade which I believe does not speed up loading but takes some load off the PSU, thus dropping the internal temperature a little.