The SSD (Holy Grail) can finally be YOURS !

This is the place to post if you are having problems with you Fusion.

Moderators: Jesse, parametric, jeebustrain

parametric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

Re: The SSD (Holy Grail) can finally be YOURS !

Post by parametric » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:25 pm

<msts> is entirely correct.

I have a 128Gb PATA SSD in my Fusion8HD and it formats to 120GB no problem.

I stress the importance of PATA SSD here. It MUST be a PATA drive for the Fusion.

Be careful, MOST of the SSDs currently for sale are SATA

Some have TRIED to use a converter board PATA-SATA, in order to fit a SATA SSD to the Fusion but MOST do not work. I have heard of only ONE instance of this (allegedly) working. Best to stay away . . . .

I purchased my PATA SSD from ebay. The supplier is mentioned in here in another thread.

I think it was <acesupplier . . . > or something like that . . .

There is a .pdf somewhere in here on how to do the update, that gives details . . .

Best Regards

parametric
Alesis Fusions 8SSD + 6SSD/384Mb/120Gb SSD/Yamaha SY85/8.5Mb/1024kb/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash/Akai ADVANCE61/NI Komplete11 Ultimate/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu Mate 15.04/M-Audio MicroTrack

https://chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:19 pm

mstsfreak wrote:This is NOT true! What this guy was saying is rubbish. The Fusion can work with a normal or SSD- drive at up to 120 gb maximum, without any problems. Bigger drives get only formatted to 120gb.
mstsfreak is right, I and others have installed 160 GB IDE drives and they work fine, but the Fusion will only format and use 120 GB of drives larger than 120 GB :)
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank

ator
Do you own a fusion?: No

Post by ator » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:06 am

Thank you, Mstsfreak, Parametric and Jesse for your detailed answers, and in such short time.
And there are other users as well who still do this.
As far as I saw, simply searching alesis fusion on ebay shows also that SSD drive for sale.

Also it's extraordinary that after almost 10 years you still offer support for this board.
In my opinion, your devotion is due to these facts:
- your education
- the fusion "seems" to be a very special board

I said "seems", because I've read your posts, I don't have one yet, but I'm exactly on the "ridge of the mountain", of the 50% threshold, to decide to take one or not.
From now on, it depends how the wind will blow. :)

mstsfreak
Advanced
Advanced

Post by mstsfreak » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:06 am

It is a very good synth, up on par with the Korg Kronos, that's how good it is..

Drummond
General
General

Post by Drummond » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:45 am

Has anyone tried a pata/pio mode SD to IDE adapter like this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/SD-SDHC-SDXC-MM ... 27e39118a4
Alesis Fusion 6HD, 384mb, 64gb ssd; Access Virus B; Univox Compac II; Hammond XK1C; Korg Kronos, 3gb/160gb; Moog Slim Phatty; Oberheim Matrix 1000; Casio MT600 and PT82; Cubase 10.5; Steinberg UR824; Motu Microlite / http://www.estudiodrummond.com.br

rogrm
Junior
Junior

Post by rogrm » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:35 pm

Drummond wrote:Has anyone tried a pata/pio mode SD to IDE adapter like this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/SD-SDHC-SDXC-MM ... 27e39118a4
I think it won't work. You can see that this is an active converter (probably it has a known "windows" driver, but the Fusion OS doesn't recognize its driver). I had an unsuccessfull experience using a IDE/SATA converter and It is the same tecnology (a Paralell to Serial converter - SD card uses serial transmission). The great chance is use an IDE to compact Flash converter, because Compact Flash Card uses a Parallel interface.
You can see that CF card-IDE converters or IDE-PATA converters don't need power supply, they are only interface adapters. In other way, IDE-SATA, IDE-SD Card, they have a power conector that supplies a processor (that process the parallel to serial transmission).

If you still can try to tell us if it works.
Good Luck.

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:53 pm

Jesse wrote:Unfortunately the IDE to SATA adapter did not work with the SATA II SSD or with the IDE to CF card reader, they do work when connected to a computer, but not with the Alesis Fusion.

Due to the lack of support for needed Firmware/OS programing we appear to be limited to IDE/PATA storage drives.

If you want an SSD drive for your Fusion get a PATA/IDE SSD while they are available :(

On the up side the replacement LCD display I bought does work, maybe not as bright as the original, but you can see it even without a backlight, so far 6.5 hours straight and no problem :)
http://www.promusicproducts.com/forum/p ... 6&start=15
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank

Austin

Post by Austin » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:08 pm

The supplier originally suggested now no longer ships to the Uk which is a shame given the initial helpfulness Parametric encountered.

I've gone rusty on ordering older computer components, can someone please confirm I just need to look for PATA / IDE / 44 pin or are there additional criteria I need to take into account, would this item work?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008RWKFYE/r ... 387WHVFS7C

Is there any noticeable quality between Zheino and Kingspan?

Cheers.

parametric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by parametric » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:37 am

That drive looks fine . . .

I HAVE emailed my "contact" at acesupplier11 to find out why this change?

I am aware that our government made some moves at the beginning of 2015 regarding online purchases (in case we weren't being taxed enough . . . ) and that may have caused the problem.

Perhaps my contact can explain . . . .

As regards drive size . . . . with ALL that I have on my Fusion, with Banks and SONGS I have made, it still only uses 8.8Gb of the 120Gb, I have available, so it would be safe to say that, unless you are going for a "Hard Disk Recording Feste", then 64Gb is still gonna be plenty of space . . . . :lol:

As regards quality differences, it HAS been suggested by users more knowledgeable on these matters, that the BRAND of the memory chips used in these devices CAN be significant - and worth consideration - IF you can actually find out WHAT has been used . . . .

SAMSUNG chips have a good reputation - say some.

SSDs HAVE been around a while now - so the technology should be well-understood, but as with all things . . . memory chips must come in a sliding price-scale/versus quality/reliability/performance - and the manufacturer must decide WHERE to place the product, price-wise, in the market . . . .

I've had no issues with my KingSpec SSD, to date. Long may that continue 8)

parametric
Alesis Fusions 8SSD + 6SSD/384Mb/120Gb SSD/Yamaha SY85/8.5Mb/1024kb/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash/Akai ADVANCE61/NI Komplete11 Ultimate/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu Mate 15.04/M-Audio MicroTrack

parametric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by parametric » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:04 pm

Just had a reply from "Albert", my contact at acesupplier11 . . 8)

Reading between the lines, they DO still post to the UK, just not that particular listing for some reason.

He lists 2 alternatives (for the same spec item).

One from China, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191130849224? ... 26_rdc%3D1

One from Manchester . . . http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181173918353? ... 26_rdc%3D1

So, all is NOT lost . . .

parametric

Austin

Post by Austin » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:01 am

Thanks for the info, I'll follow this up once my finances have recovered from a KPR blowout.

neomad
Extreme
Extreme

Post by neomad » Tue May 19, 2015 9:05 pm

Chaps ! SSD installed and works perfectly. Silence, quicker boot and quicker sounds load. Amazing results !
I would like to say a big thank you to Parametric. Without him, impossible to accomplish such upgrade.
Thanks to all of you for your support.
Kind regards
Matt

parametric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by parametric » Wed May 20, 2015 12:08 am

EXCELLENT News Matt . . . .

Your delight with the finished result is the ONLY thanks I need :lol: - but your "bouquet" is well received . . . .

Apart from the observations you have made on performance, there is also the fact that the SSD is considerably KINDER power-wise on the PSU - which is a big bonus too (IMO).

Glad you like the result . . .

Chris

rogrm
Junior
Junior

Post by rogrm » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:18 pm

Another upgrade fusion with SSD HD. The keyboard works fine with the new storage unity. I hope the error sync doesn't reappear....

mstsfreak
Advanced
Advanced

Post by mstsfreak » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:37 pm

rogrm wrote:Another upgrade fusion with SSD HD. The keyboard works fine with the new storage unity. I hope the error sync doesn't reappear....
Very nice! Good luck with this fine upgrade!