Replacement LCD display for the Alesis Fusion

General questions about the fusion belong here.

Moderators: Jesse, parametric, jeebustrain

2ManyKeys
Advanced
Advanced
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

Re: Replacement LCD display for the Alesis Fusion

Post by 2ManyKeys » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:19 am

Jesse,

I looked back at the MPJA listing for this display. It notes that a current limiting series resistor is required for the LED connection to limit the LED current to less than 900mA. The spec sheet actually shows a Max rating of 2200mA!

The dropping resistor requirement is what I suspected. Diodes are basically almost a short circuit once their forward bias voltage is reached. I didn't see a dropping resistor in your pictures. Did you use one? It could be that the 3.4 volt line you are driving the LED's with is limiting the current from the source but still connecting LED's directly to a supply is usually a recipe for component failure in the short or long term.

When my display comes in from MPJA I will figure out the proper dropping resistor for 5V and 3.4V. The datasheet shows that the typical forward voltage for that backlight is 4.3 to 4.6V. I'm almost surprised the 3.4 inverter supply is enough to turn on the LED's. Let's just say the LED forward voltage is 4.3V for example. In that case the proper resistor for a 5V supply would be .78 Ohms. That's not a standard value so a 1ohm would work fine and just limit the current a bit more to 700mA. Another detail though. Since this is a relatively high current display, the resistor would need to be a 1 Watt power resistor not some dinky 1/4 Watt off the shelf. It would also need to be mounted to keep it's heat away from other components.

The description also says that the display is transflective which mean no backlight is necessary most of the time unless you are working in the dark. Is that the case?

Scott

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:29 pm

I believe the dimmer is a variable resistor like any other POT and that is how you control the brightness, the lower voltage of 3.4 volts i think is better and works just fine.

Yes you can see the display without the LED powered up, but it is better with the LED backlight.

The wattage of the resistor is what limits the current I belive and the resistance drops the voltage.

If I am wrong let me know.
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank

2ManyKeys
Advanced
Advanced

Post by 2ManyKeys » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:35 pm

Glad to hear it's working well. Provided my 8HD survives the trip I plan on that modification along with the SSD. It was disheartening to read about your friends 8HD (which is now yours I gather) not surviving a move. :-(

Ah yes, then the dimmer may actually provide the necessary dropping resistor. I agree with you that if the dimmer is actually limiting current it's better than running the backlight from 5 volts and just adding more heat to the interior. Again... the schematics would be great as they would answer that question. I have to find that service manual! It's just irrational of InMusic to halt providing what Alesis already provided to customers!
Last edited by 2ManyKeys on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2ManyKeys
Advanced
Advanced

Post by 2ManyKeys » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:36 pm

Did you get my PM? I'm not sure my PM's are going anywhere.

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:39 pm

2ManyKeys wrote:Did you get my PM? I'm not sure my PM's are going anywhere.
Yes, I received it :)

[The extension pdf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank

2ManyKeys
Advanced
Advanced

Post by 2ManyKeys » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:43 pm

Thanks for letting me know.

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:03 pm

I found these on Amazon
2 pin mating connectors with wires would be good for connecting the Fusion dimmer switch wires to the LED backlight on the LCD display.
https://www.amazon.com/eBoot-Pairs-Elec ... 53CS8BES59

2ManyKeys
Advanced
Advanced

Post by 2ManyKeys » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:55 am

Yeah those are handy to keep around. I've settled in to wait for a good buy on a Fusion. Just watching the various sites. Hopefully something will pop up in the near future. Probably should have jumped on that broken one for $220.

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:12 pm

These 2 pin mating connectors with wires might be better, slighly heavier gauge wires

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015A ... UTF8&psc=1

neomad
Extreme
Extreme

Post by neomad » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:33 pm

Hello guys!
Trust you are going well. I am about to start the replacement of the screen. But before opening the baby, I do have a few questions. Hope you can help:

1 I saw first picture but I am actually do not understand where the power comes from. Where exactly did you connect the new screen? Where is that connector located?
2 do I need to solder the new cables? I am actually a disaster soldeting :? :?

Thanks in advance. Matt

neomad
Extreme
Extreme

Post by neomad » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:25 pm

Here I go !

1st: I have dismounted old screen. done.
2nd: I have removed the 2 not needed parts: Dimmer PCB or the DC-AC Inverter PCB. Is that correct? (I have seen that into MPJA PDF with instructions). See first picture please.
3rd: I have noted that the small connector going to the Dimmer PCB from the RIGHT FRONT PANEL ASSY PCB part 9-79-0308-A provides 3.4 volts DC which is perfect for the 5 volt LED Back light and allows you to control the brightness with the dimmer switch. Problem, I have 2 connectors (one is red and blue, the other is orange and blue). If I understand correctly the picture into MPJA PDF, the orange cable goes to red at led display + blue cable goes to black at led display. See 2nd and 3rd picture please.

My Fusion is open in the middle of the living room (wife veeery happy) waiting for your kind and usual help.
Thank you very, very much for your help in advance.

Matt
Attachments
IMG_3429 (1).jpg
orange to red + blue to black. Correct?
IMG_3429 (1).jpg (21.93 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
IMG_3428 (1).jpg
Connector coming from front right panel
(63.8 KiB) Downloaded 3673 times
IMG_3426 (1).jpg
Removed the unnecesary parts (based on MPJA guide)
IMG_3426 (1).jpg (45.8 KiB) Viewed 3716 times

neomad
Extreme
Extreme

Post by neomad » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:42 pm

Worked fine ! I did try what I saw... screen is working perfectly. I will mount the baby and start playing right away !
Cheers
Matt

mstsfreak
Advanced
Advanced

Post by mstsfreak » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:45 pm

Picture? :D

neomad
Extreme
Extreme

Post by neomad » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:33 pm

To my questions below:
2nd: yes, the two small boards are redundant. Out. Thanks.
3rd: yes, orange to red, blue to black. All works.

The only thing is: I have noticed that old screen was perfectly working but not the back light. Screen is clearer but lacks of light. Still readable but not comparable as it was. No problem, I will get used to.

Best regards thanks for following and special thanks to our dear Jesse, who helped a lot these months on the 'back office section'
Matt

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:14 am

Glad you got it up and running Matt, have you tried using the dimmer switch to see if you can increase the brightness?