Replacement LCD display for the Alesis Fusion

General questions about the fusion belong here.

Moderators: Jesse, parametric, jeebustrain

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

Replacement LCD display for the Alesis Fusion

Post by Jesse » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:37 pm

We have a replacement for the LCD Display, CCFL backlight & inverter PCB on the Alesis Fusion

On the up side the replacement LCD display I bought for $20 does work, maybe not as bright as the original, but you can see it even without a backlight, so far over 6.5 hours straight and no problem :)
http://www.mpja.com/LCD-Display-240-X-1 ... 003%20OP/#

LCD display with 3.3volts (tapped from Fusions PSU) powering the 5 volt LED backlight.
The LCD display looks better and the LED light runs much cooler :) - cool to the touch, 3.3 volts to the 5 volt LED's is the way to go :)
The LCD display looks better than the picture I posted, an antiglare protective cover like used on a cell phone would help the picture to look better.

LCD display with 3.3 volts to the LED backlight 01b.jpg
(355.08 KiB) Downloaded 12633 times
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank

mstsfreak
Advanced
Advanced

Re: Replacement LCD display for the Alesis Fusion

Post by mstsfreak » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:17 pm

Looks very nice!

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:02 pm

A power source (probably better than coming off the PSU) for the 3.3 volts could be from this connector, wires come straight from the PSU
3.3 volt power source for 5 volt LED backlight 01.jpg
(115.03 KiB) Downloaded 12633 times
Get a 2 wire connector (Dual small-110-Flat-Pin-Mating-Wiring-Harness) cut the wires so the female connector has about 7 or 8 inches and solder the wires to your power source.

Next cut off the connector that came with the LED back light and slip a couple pieces of heat shrink on the wires from the 5 volt LED backlight so you can slide it over the solder joints after you solder the wires with the male connector to it.
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank

mstsfreak
Advanced
Advanced

Post by mstsfreak » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:48 am

Hi, Jesse!

Bummer that the pictures do no show anymore. Can you upload them again?

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:39 pm

Done, I am not sure what has happened with pictures on this forum?

mstsfreak
Advanced
Advanced

Post by mstsfreak » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:54 pm

Thanks Jesse!

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:59 am

I just checked and this $20 LCD display is still available :)

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:12 pm

Great news, if you use the replacement LCD Display with 5 volt LED back light or if you replace the CFL Backlight with a LED Backlight you do not need the Dimmer PCB or the DC-AC Inverter PCB :)

Plus the small connector going to the Dimmer PCB provides 3.4 volts DC which is perfect for the 5 volt LED Back light.

Another plus is that by using the 3.4 volt connector that went to the dimmer PCB the Dimmer switch will work with the LED back light to control Brightness :)

This eliminates two heat sources and reduces power drain on the PSU :)

Sorry for the poor quality pictures I had to use an old camera, the LCD replacement display actually looks better than this :)
Replacement LCD display with 5 volt LED backlight 01b.jpg
Replacement LCD Display with 5 volt LED backlight
(947.97 KiB) Downloaded 11553 times
Replacement LCD display with 5 volt LED backlight 03b.jpg
Replacement LCD Display with 5 volt LED backlight
(966.59 KiB) Downloaded 11553 times

bcetindra

Post by bcetindra » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:03 am

Thanks for the information.

neomad
Extreme
Extreme

Post by neomad » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:30 pm

Thanks for the information, I am actually looking where can I grab one of those...
Any link to share please?
Thanks in advance
Kind regards
Matt

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:23 am

In the USA they can be purchased here
http://www.mpja.com/LCD-Display-240-X-1 ... 31003+OP/#

MPJA does not ship to Europe, but in the past I have purchased them for other members in Europe and shipped
the LCD displays to them for cost plus shipping and the fee PayPal charges me, no profit on my part.
I recommend buying two LCD displays around $20 each plus the shipping MPJA charges me because the shipping from the USA to Europe runs around $35.

MJPA should have some more LCD displays in around Christmas time.

Take Care ... Jesse

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:55 pm

The LCD displays with LED backlight are back in stock now :)
http://www.mpja.com/LCD-Display-240-X-1 ... 31003+OP/#

2ManyKeys
Advanced
Advanced

Post by 2ManyKeys » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:06 am

Jesse,

My 8HD is on the way from Guitar Center and I've been reading various posts about the PSU and LCD. I ordered the LCD from MPJA as well. Thanks for posting all this helpful info. How has it worked for you since install? No issues with the backlight?

I was wondering how that 3.4V supply to the inverter drives the LED's long term. You didn't need any series resistor on the LED backlight? There's no way to know what the draw was on the line originally so I wondered if the LED's might pull more current than it was designed to supply. If it's still working for you I assume it's within the load limits.

Thanks,

Scott

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:01 pm

Scott, if you use the replacement LCD Display with 5 volt LED back light or if you replace the CFL Backlight with a LED Backlight you do not need the Dimmer PCB or the DC-AC Inverter PCB [img class="smile" alt=":)" style="max-width:100%;" src="//storage.proboards.com/forum/images/smiley/smiley.png"]

The small connector going to the Dimmer PCB from the RIGHT FRONT PANEL ASSY PCB part 9-79-0308-A provides 3.4 volts DC which is perfect for the 5 volt LED Back light and allows you to control the brightness with the dimmer switch.

This also eliminates two heat sources and reduces power drain on the PSU [img style="max-width:100%;" src="//storage.proboards.com/forum/images/smiley/smiley.png" class="smile" alt=":)"]

In general LED's draw less power than other light sources [img class="smile" alt=":)" src="//storage.proboards.com/forum/images/smiley/smiley.png"]
Jesse

2ManyKeys
Advanced
Advanced

Post by 2ManyKeys » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:26 pm

Thanks for the info. Yeah, the LED's as you noted would draw a lot less than a CCFL inverter. I just didn't know if the 3.4V dimmer connection was a dimmer signal or the actual supply to that board.

How long have you been running the new LCD?

I really wish I had the service manual. Schematics make things so much clearer. I actually did call Alesis and post to their forum. Both answers were to the negative. Alesis doesn't provide service manuals. I replied that they should rethink that policy. Yamaha has been smart enough to provide service manuals to users for many years.

Thanks,

Scott