Repairing non functional Fusion 8HD

This is the place to post if you are having problems with you Fusion.

Moderators: Jesse, parametric, jeebustrain

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

Re: Repairing non functional Fusion 8HD

Post by Jesse » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:03 am

Testing and hopefully repairing my non functional Fusion 8HD will resume when I receive my 64GB SATA 2 SSD drive and open up my working Fusion 8HD to

1. Connect the top half of my non functional Fusion 8HD with the top half of my working Fusion 8HD to see if the top half of my non functional Fusion 8HD is in proper working order - I have my fingers crossed :roll:

2. Connect the Potential Replacement LCD display I bought to my working Fusion 8HD and see if it is indeed a viable replacement for the original LCD display :)

3. Attempt to add a 64GB SATA 2 SSD drive to my working Fusion 8HD by connecting it to the IDE HD cable using a IDE to SATA adapter :roll:

4. Test to see if a high speed CF card reader will work when connected to the IDE HD cable in my working Fusion 8HD using a IDE to CF card reader adapter 8)
Take Care ... Jesse
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:49 pm

I received my KingSpec 64GB SATA II SSD drive today, so I plan to start experimenting this weekend :)

In addition to testing the devices below I will also test for Master & Slave drives using a 40 pin 80 wire cable on the Fusion's internal hard drive IDE 1 port

IDE/PATA to SATA Adapter
IDE to SATA adapter 1b.jpg
(274.33 KiB) Downloaded 17676 times
KingSpec 64GB SATA II SSD and Adapter
KingSpec 64GB SATA II SSD with IDE to SATA adapter 1b.jpg
(222.62 KiB) Downloaded 17676 times
IDE/PATA to CF Card Reader Adapter
IDE to CF card reader 1b.jpg
(268.59 KiB) Downloaded 17676 times
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank

parametric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by parametric » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 am

That converter looks very neat, Jesse - and convenient to use in the Fusion.

The converter I had was different inasmuch as it really wanted to plug into the IDE Host socket on the MoBo - which is hidden between two boards in the 8HD. - Plus, it wanted to stick UP . . . . absolutely NOT do-able, the way the Fusion is put together. :(

I didn't want to disassemble the Fusion to that degree - so I abandoned that idea.

It'd be sweet if a SATA SSD could be made to work IF ONLY that the SATA SSDs are going to be around longer than the PATA ones (I guess?) AND, are cheaper than their PATA equivalents. :roll:

So "finger crossed" 'til we hear how it went . . . . . :)

parametric
Alesis Fusions 8SSD + 6SSD/384Mb/120Gb SSD/Yamaha SY85/8.5Mb/1024kb/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash/Akai ADVANCE61/NI Komplete11 Ultimate/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu Mate 15.04/M-Audio MicroTrack

https://chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:43 pm

I currently have the LCD display up an running on my Working Fusion 8HD for a little over 2 hours so far, with the display dimmer turned up all the way you don't even need the back light.

The 5 volt LED backlight runs a little hot, I'll try 3.3 volts

LCD display with backlight
LCD display with backlight 01b.jpg
(546.74 KiB) Downloaded 17666 times
LCD display with out backlight
LCD display with out backlight 01b.jpg
(448 KiB) Downloaded 17666 times

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:45 pm

Unfortunately the IDE to SATA adapter did not work with the SATA II SSD or with the IDE to CF card reader, they do work when connected to a computer, but not with the Alesis Fusion.

Due to the lack of support for needed Firmware/OS programing we appear to be limited to IDE/PATA storage drives.

If you want an SSD drive for your Fusion get a PATA/IDE SSD while they are available :(

On the up side the replacement LCD display I bought does work, maybe not as bright as the original, but you can see it even without a backlight, so far 6.5 hours straight and no problem :)

LCD display with 3.3volts (tapped from Fusions PSU) powering the 5 volt LED backlight.
The LCD display looks better and the LED light runs much cooler :) - cool to the touch
The LCD display looks better than the picture I posted, an antiglare protective cover like used on a cell phone would help the picture to look better.
LCD display with 3.3 volts to the LED backlight 01c.jpg
(261.15 KiB) Downloaded 17663 times

mstsfreak
Advanced
Advanced

Post by mstsfreak » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:16 pm

Looks very nice, this display!

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:11 pm

Well today I finally got around to connecting the top half of my non functional Fusion 8HD to the bottom half of my working Fusion 8HD :roll:

The top half of my non functional Fusion 8HD appears to be in good shape the way the display works just fine and everthing else appears to be working, so I will run the Fusion's diagnostics to thoroughly check it out, then move on to the next phase.

This leads me to what I was afraid of the beginning, the problem appears to be on the main PCB. :cry:

When I first opened up the non functional Fusion 8HD I found a broken circuit board on the pitch bend wheel (which I replaced) and the 40 wire connector on the main PCB was broken and a third of the wires pulled up, I repaired the cable & connector and reconnected the cable to the main PCB, but that did not fix the problem, but now that I am sure the problem lies with the main PCB I will remove the main PCB and check for bad solder joints where the 40 pin connector is attached to the PCB.

If I am lucky that will be the only problem :|

parametric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by parametric » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:13 am

Jesse wrote: When I first opened up the non functional Fusion 8HD I found a broken circuit board on the pitch bend wheel (which I replaced) and the 40 wire connector on the main PCB was broken and a third of the wires pulled up, I repaired the cable & connector and reconnected the cable to the main PCB, but that did not fix the problem, but now that I am sure the problem lies with the main PCB I will remove the main PCB and check for bad solder joints where the 40 pin connector is attached to the PCB.

If I am lucky that will be the only problem :|
It sounds like the N/F Fusion had a bit of a bashing before you got it. Who would pull out wires from a connector.

I DO hope that when you examine the main board, that something(s) will LEAP out at you, such as to confirm any suspicions you may have formulated. Hopefully the connector that's damaged isn't anything proprietary (to the Fusion, at any rate), and you can easily get a replacement. Sourcing the little terminals inside could be tricky - as will re-attaching the wires no doubt.

At least it sounds promising AND do-able. I hope THAT issue alone may be the source of the problem - and hopefully, if you correct it - you'll be working again.

The new mobos I've seen - seem hugely expensive - comparable to the price of a used complete Fusion . . . . .

(Sorry to hear the SATA didn't work out. Does this indicate that the IDE spec on the Fusion is not as correct as it could/should be? )

Very Best luck with it, Jesse

parametric
Alesis Fusions 8SSD + 6SSD/384Mb/120Gb SSD/Yamaha SY85/8.5Mb/1024kb/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash/Akai ADVANCE61/NI Komplete11 Ultimate/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu Mate 15.04/M-Audio MicroTrack

https://chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:22 am

parametric wrote: (Sorry to hear the SATA didn't work out. Does this indicate that the IDE spec on the Fusion is not as correct as it could/should be? )

Very Best luck with it, Jesse

parametric
Well as far as the IDE spec goes it's good for reading IDE drives, the hardware is coded/programed to work with the IDE drives that appears to be the extent of it without further programing by Alesis.
I tried using a SATA II SSD drive, I guess I will try a SATA II hard drive just for the heck of it.

The good news is that for $20 you can replace your LCD display and backlight if you need to, instead of $200 for one from Alesis, if they even have one. :)

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:28 pm

I connected a 40 pin 80 wire dual drive IDE cable to the Fusion IDE hard drive connection in an attempt to see if we could have a MASTER and Slave drive, but it would only recognize the Master drive.

Fusion load times
[quote source="/post/17777/thread" timestamp="1400635568" author="@parametric"][quote source="/post/17772/thread" timestamp="1400549039" author="@jesse"]I have that I will run it and a few of the piano's from the Ultimate Piano Collection, which I believe you have also

Ultimate Piano Collection -    FAZ.DYN.32-11 Samples 37.2 MB Time to load Maxtor 40GB IDE/PATA HD 18.4 seconds (parametric Kingspec 128GB PATA SSD 23.58) (WD1600SB 160GB IDE/PATA HD 16.3 seconds)

Ultimate Piano Collection - STWD.DYN 32-11 Samples 35.3 MB Time to load Maxtor 40GB IDE/PATA HD 18.0 seconds (parametric Kingspec 128GB PATA SSD 18.32) (WD1600SB 160GB IDE/PATA HD 15.9 seconds)

Ultimate Piano Collection -        BOES.LD HI1 Samples 37.0 MB Time to load Maxtor 40GB IDE/PATA HD 18.2 seconds (parametric Kingspec 128GB PATA SSD 18.61) (WD1600SB 160GB IDE/PATA HD 16.0 seconds)
[/quote]

My Working Fusion - Open Fusion - PSU(old version)Primary Heat Sink Temp(the short one) It seems that the heat produced by the old version PSU varies - my non working Fusion PSU had a peak temp of 131 and my working Fusion PSU had a peak temp 123.3.

Note: Temperatures shown below are the Peak Temperatures observed.
The Heat Sink Temperatures cycled between 118.7°F and 123.3°F with no activity on the Fusion, The Fusion was simply Idle.
No great temperature change on the Primary heat sink no matter which HD was installed.

HD Storage Device Primary Heat Sink Peak Temp Measured
Maxtor 40GB IDE/PATA HD 123.3°F
Kingspec 64GB PATA SSD 123.3°F
WD 160GB IDE/PATA HD 122.5°F

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:55 pm

Time to clear off the dining room table, uh, work bench, I have been taking a lot of flak and am about to go down in flames :)
Alesis Fusion work bench 1a.jpg
(700.74 KiB) Downloaded 17550 times
Stay Tuned ... more to come as time, money and patience allow :(

mstsfreak
Advanced
Advanced

Post by mstsfreak » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:06 am

I was wondering how your repair job is going so far?

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:16 am

I believe the problem is with the main PCB, I plan to remove it to look for any bad solder joints. If I don't find any simple repairs that I can do I'll contact Alesis Authorized repair shop in New Jersey - USA and tell them what I know and ask for a repair quote, If I have to buy a new motherboard it won't be worth the cost. :(

Thanks for asking :)

mstsfreak
Advanced
Advanced

Post by mstsfreak » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:08 am

I hope you will do fine and get it working again.

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:21 pm

Come the middle of November I will have a few days to work on my non working Fusion 8HD again, I will be removing the motherboard and checking for any cracks and/or bad solder joints.

I contacted TSI to see if they could test and repair the main PCB, but all they would do is replace the main PCB with a new one if available, very disappointing, I can do that myself :(

I might temporarily replace the main PCB with the one from my working 8HD if I can not determine the problem and repair it on my non working main PCB to confirm that is the problem.

I will keep you updated. I think I need to get some training on replacing surface mount solder components.