Recreating the infamous "Supersaw"

Looking for new sounds?? Created or edited a sound? Share 'em here!

Moderators: Jesse, parametric, jeebustrain

EXer
General
General
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

Recreating the infamous "Supersaw"

Post by EXer » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:58 pm

► Ever wanted to recreate that infamous "Supersaw" Roland JP-8000/JP-8080 oscillator on your Fusion?

First
• initialize a new patch
• chose Synthesis type: FM
• turn all 6 oscillators on and set them to sinewaves
• uncheck Osc Reset (we want free running oscillators)

• route each osc directly to the output with a volume of 60%
• route each osc to itself with a volume of 30.2% (FM feedback to make it a sawtooth)

OK, so we have 6 sawteeth sounding together.

Now comes the critical time: we still have to detune them appropriately to obtain that infamous Supersaw.

Setting the pitch at oscillator level is getting you nowhere because the possible adjustment is not fine enough.
It takes a very fine tuning to obtain the "Supersaw" sound: not enough detuning between pairs of oscillators gives unwanted beatings (and in a set of 6 oscillators there are 15 pairs!), too much detuning generates unwanted partials at high pitches.

So we create 5 modulations and we assign them to a single controller:
• Source: Knob 1
• Destination: Osc Frequency
• Index: Osc 2, Osc 3, Osc 4, Osc 5, Osc 6, respectively
• Type: Additive
• Amount: -0.26%, -0.50%, +0.19%, +0.44%, +0.76%, respectively

► When we play the patch we have to adjust Knob 1 to obtain the wanted result.

I have found out that, with the amounts of modulation programmed as described above, the best result (*) is achieved with Knob 1 set to a value of 32.

(*) I used my V-Synth XT (which has, among many other things, the same VA capabilities as a JP-8080) as a standard measure

An A/B comparison I made between that Fusion FM patch and a basic patch (single oscillator, filter by-passed, no FX) I programmed on my V-Synth XT using the *real* Roland Supersaw oscillator shows that my Fusion patch is pretty close to the real thing.

Unfortunately, the Fusion FM suffers from heavy aliasing in the upper octaves (the V-Synth remaining aliasing free).
Fusion 8HD Klaus Schulze + 2 x Sector101 EXM-E3 128MB DRAM modules ; original 80 GB HD replaced with a SSD

parametric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Recreating the infamous "Supersaw"

Post by parametric » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:48 am

THAT is a very enterprising piece of work EXer . . . .

going under the bonnet like that . . . . .

I KNOW I should get in there and see what's inside this amazing Synth . . . and try some stuff . . .

(How else can you learn how it all relates)?

Books are fine, but in my limited experience, you NEED to learn by DOING . . . .

Perhaps what you have done here will get me curious enough to try :lol:

Well Done!

parametric
Alesis Fusions 8SSD + 6SSD/384Mb/120Gb SSD/Yamaha SY85/8.5Mb/1024kb/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash/Akai ADVANCE61/NI Komplete11 Ultimate/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu Mate 15.04/M-Audio MicroTrack

https://chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

EXer
General
General

Post by EXer » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:54 am

parametric wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:48 am
Books are fine, but in my limited experience, you NEED to learn by DOING . . . .
Do you know the difference between theory and practice?

• Theory is when things don't work and you understand why.
• Practice is when things work and you don't understand why.

Of course, you need to combine both :mrgreen:
Fusion 8HD Klaus Schulze + 2 x Sector101 EXM-E3 128MB DRAM modules ; original 80 GB HD replaced with a SSD

EXer
General
General

Post by EXer » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:51 am

A demo of "Supersaw" (just add filter and chorus and you're in Jarre's "Revolution" territory):

The V-synth XT has the VA capabilities of a JP-8000/8080, but the JPs still have the huge advantage of the immediacy of their analog synth style panel.

I wish the Fusion had more real time controllers, but you can't rewrite history.

Btw, Thiago gomez is an excellent demonstrator; remember his demo of an EX5 ?

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:24 pm

Awesome post, thanks EXer :)
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank