Fan replacement?

This is the place to post if you are having problems with you Fusion.

Moderators: Jesse, parametric, jeebustrain

EXer
General
General
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

Fan replacement?

Post by EXer » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:13 pm

I have noticed the fan of my Fusion 8 is noisy since I have replaced the HD with a SSD.

It does not only "whine", but it sounds a bit "gritty".
I don't know if it's a normal noise or if its axle is becoming partly seized.
Maybe I should open my fusion (again :twisted: ) in order to oil that axle?

Anyway, that fan is becoming old and I would like to replace it with a new, more silent and more efficient one.

I do not feel conformable with approaching a PCB with a soldering iron to unsolder a component, so:

► Could someone please confirm it is NOT soldered on the PCB?
► Which current compatible fan could be installed into a Fusion 8 in lieu of the old fan?

Thanks.
Fusion 8HD Klaus Schulze + 2 x Sector101 EXM-E3 128MB DRAM modules ; original 80 GB HD replaced with a SSD

parametric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fan replacement?

Post by parametric » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:39 am

Hi EXer,

I can't honestly remember how the fan is powered. Perhaps straight from the PSU? - but the fan itself is

nothing special. The more usual size is the small one that used to fit on to top of PC CPUs, but the

Fusion's one is bigger . . .

They are a common part - mostly ball-bearing, made in China and come in a range of sizes - just need to

measure it and pick the right size . . .

When wired correctly - they have a arrow embossed on the outside showing which way the Air flows . . . . .

You'll need that to agree with the outgoing Fan . . . . .

They often come with a pcb-type mini socket on the end of the wires for plugging in. If it's not suitable,

you may need to cut that off and wire it manually. (Cut the old fan's wires and connect to those using some

shrink-wrap to insulate your soldering). . . IYSWIM?

parametric
Alesis Fusions 8SSD + 6SSD/384Mb/120Gb SSD/Yamaha SY85/8.5Mb/1024kb/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash/Akai ADVANCE61/NI Komplete11 Ultimate/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu Mate 15.04/M-Audio MicroTrack

https://chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fan replacement?

Post by Jesse » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:03 pm

Alesis installed a 40mm 12V fan and provided it with a 5V power supply to reduce rpm's and make it quieter.

You may need to cut the wires off the fan and connect them to your new fan wires by soldering and covering the connections with heat shrink or just crimp the wires together with a butt connector. The black wire is the ground and the red wire provides 5 volts DC.
Alesis Fusion Cooling 01.jpg
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank