Access to volume rotary potentiometer.

This is the place to post if you are having problems with you Fusion.

Moderators: Jesse, parametric, jeebustrain

cocteau2x
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

Access to volume rotary potentiometer.

Post by cocteau2x » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:45 pm

I have a Fusion 8HD. It has been sitting for YEARS without being played. Turning it on now ... I get static from the volume knob.
It's "touchy". If I get the knob/volume set exactly right the static goes away.
Or, sometimes, if I tap it with my finger the static goes away. It also produces static just by turning the knob.
So, I think I may need to clean the contacts of this POT.

The unit opens from the bottom. The actual volume rotary potentiometer is hidden up further in the "top".
Is there any place I can find information (manual, video) about how to access this part of the unit? Or, am I just going to have to CAREFULLY dig deeper and deeper ... to finally uncover the POT?

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Access to volume rotary potentiometer.

Post by Jesse » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:42 pm

Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank

cocteau2x

Post by cocteau2x » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:52 pm

Thanks for the link ...
I also found this http://baxweb.com/Fusion/8HDUpgrade.pdf

Great pictures and explanation of the 8HD disassembly.

I am hoping just a little contact cleaner will do the trick. :-)

Arevyn
General
General

Post by Arevyn » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:23 am

I used Deoxit5 and spun the knob a few times. no static ever since. worked on both my 6hd and 8hd! :-)
6HD+SSD - Alesis 8HD+SSD - Yamaha CP33 - Ibanez AS93 with Graphtech Acoustiphonic System - Washburn WI64DL - Taylor 214CE QM 2016 Anniversary - 1982 Washburn D28 - Fibes Acoustic Bop Drums - Roland TD9 Hybrid kit

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:05 pm

Arevyn did you have to open the Fusion in order to use the Deoxit5 to clean the pots?

There seems to be a few variations of this product D5, F5, G5 maybe more which one did you use?
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank

Arevyn
General
General

Post by Arevyn » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:38 pm

I didnt open the fusion, I took the cap off of the knob and I took off the nut that tightens it to the board I believe then used the D5. sprayed just a tiny bit so it got down the sides of the knob and intot the pot and turned it back and forth about 15 to 20 times. try not to soak it, just a light amount does the trick.

So as to the different types of Deoxit. the D5 is for knobs and rotaries, the F5 is for faders, and the G5 is for gold connectors or electronics that use gold plating.

Hope this helps
6HD+SSD - Alesis 8HD+SSD - Yamaha CP33 - Ibanez AS93 with Graphtech Acoustiphonic System - Washburn WI64DL - Taylor 214CE QM 2016 Anniversary - 1982 Washburn D28 - Fibes Acoustic Bop Drums - Roland TD9 Hybrid kit

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:50 am

Thanks for the feed back Arevyn :)