SSD upgrade issues

This is the place to post if you are having problems with you Fusion.

Moderators: Jesse, parametric, jeebustrain

Crosseyed & painless
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

SSD upgrade issues

Post by Crosseyed & painless »

Hi
Wondered if anyone knows the name of the ribbon cable that goes from the hard drive to the PCB board and where I can purchase it. I live in the UK?

Mine appears to have a small hole in it wondered if it could effect it working perfectly?

Thanks

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SSD upgrade issues

Post by Jesse »

Standard IDE 40 pin cable the same length of your original or a little longer.

You can get them at a computer store or online at Amazon or ebay.
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank

parametric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by parametric »

Hi CE&P . . . .

The Alesis part no is AL4-18-4001. You could try InMusic here in the UK who handle Akai/Alesis products.

I am doubtful that that there is damage to the original cable, unless it has undergone serious "butchery".

The cable is a standard 40-pin IDE HD Drive Ribbon cable, commonly used on Pre-SATA PCs to connect the

HDDs to the controller on the MoBo.

It has a Female connector at both ends, one being a right-angled connector that goes to the Fusion pcb socket.

The Straight connector going to the Hard Disk/SSD.

If you need to replace it, and cannot source the correct cable* - then it will have to be fabricated.

*The length required is the problem in this case

The ribbon cable IS available on the roll - or you MAY be lucky enough to buy a short length.

The IDE connectors are IDC (Insulation Displacement Connectors) and can be bought for self assembly.

You could also convert an existing (old) IDE ribbon from an old PC - Shortening it in the process. . .

Maplins, Farnell or RS Supplies should be able to supply what you need.

Hope that helps

parametric
Alesis Fusions 8SSD + 6SSD/384Mb/120Gb SSD/Yamaha SY85/8.5Mb/1024kb/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash/Akai ADVANCE61/NI Komplete11 Ultimate/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu Mate 15.04/M-Audio MicroTrack

https://chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Crosseyed & painless

Thank you Jesse and Parametric. That's really helpful and much appreciated.

Parametric, regarding the damage to the cable. Would you mind telling me why it's doubtful there is damage to the ribbon cable please?

I did reconnect my old hard drive, which has about 12GB of samples etc, and it seemed to work but took forever to load when I turned the Fusion on. Also I was pleasantly surprised I had no error codes on start up!

Thanks

parametric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by parametric »

I only suggest that it is unlikely, because it has a generally quiet life, well shielded . . . .

You have to remove a piggy-back board to access the IDE socket on the Fusion's pcb - so it is covered - except from the last couple of inches that lead to the HDD . . . .

I can't imagine how it would suffer damage - unless someone jabbed it at some time with screwdriver, or similar . . ?

I reused the ribbon just fine when I upgraded both my Fusions to SSD.

If you want to continue with your existing HD - I would suggest it is perhaps fragmented - if you have been adding/removing Banks - or making lots of Songs . . .

I would suggest copying the ENTIRE <Volume> folder to your PC, then reformat the HD using the onboard Fusion's Utility - NOT WINDOWS - and then copy the <Volume> folder back to the Root of the Fusion_HD (Not forgetting to Re-Verify EVERYTHING . . . :wink:)

12Gb is quite a lot and will take quite some time (its only USB2 remember) - you'll be needing coffee 8)

Also - check in the Global settings WHAT the Fusion loads at startup - there are options - which may help with the speed.

BTW - you won't experience much in the way of speed increase with the SSD upgrade - as the performance is constrained by the IDE Controller present in the Fusion (sadly).

The benefits are largely to do with lower power demand on the PSU, cooler running, quieter running, and far better robustness - if you are gigging . . . .

NO startup errors is always good news :lol:

ATB

parametric
Alesis Fusions 8SSD + 6SSD/384Mb/120Gb SSD/Yamaha SY85/8.5Mb/1024kb/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash/Akai ADVANCE61/NI Komplete11 Ultimate/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu Mate 15.04/M-Audio MicroTrack

parametric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by parametric »

Reading between the lines in the Fusion Service Manual (Its not actually stated anywhere)

that IDE cable should be no shorter that 230mm. From memory, since I last had mine open - that sounds right . . .

parametric

Crosseyed & painless

Hi Parametric,
Thank you so much for your swift and informative reply. I can only assume a previous owner had opened the Fusion up and caught the ribbon cable against the sharp metal cover on the RAM board.

Thanks again. ;-)

parametric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by parametric »

Ah OK - NOW I understand . . . :lol:

A rogue "short" in that ribbon might explain your HD behavior?

So replacing it could be a good idea . . .

Let us now what happens . . . :wink:

parametric

Crosseyed & painless

Yes will do.
Cheers