The SSD (Holy Grail) can finally be YOURS !

This is the place to post if you are having problems with you Fusion.

Moderators: Jesse, parametric, jeebustrain

parametric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

Re: The SSD (Holy Grail) can finally be YOURS !

Post by parametric » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:45 pm

Great news <rogrm>

Time to enjoy your cooler, quieter Fusion :D

parametric
Alesis Fusions 8SSD + 6SSD/384Mb/120Gb SSD/Yamaha SY85/8.5Mb/1024kb/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash/Akai ADVANCE61/NI Komplete11 Ultimate/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu Mate 15.04/M-Audio MicroTrack

https://chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Drummond
General
General

Post by Drummond » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:18 pm

Alesis Fusion 6HD, 384mb, 80gb; Access Virus B; Univox Compac II; Hammond XK1C; Korg Kronos, 3gb/160gb; Moog Slim Phatty; Roland JP8000; Oberheim Matrix 1000; Casio MT600 and PT82; Cubase 10; Steinberg UR824; Motu Microlite / http://www.estudiodrummond.com.br

parametric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by parametric » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:04 am

I see no reason why not. Its a PATA IDE 44 pin. Even the read/write speeds are similar.

If you go with it, DO report back that all is fine - so we can confirm it as an "approved" alternative to the Kingspec.

As time goes on, I'm sure some makes will disappear and others emerge.

More confirmed alternatives will help those discovering this mod and wanting to proceed . . .

I'm sure PATA SSDs are already living on borrowed time . . . . :shock:

parametric
Alesis Fusions 8SSD + 6SSD/384Mb/120Gb SSD/Yamaha SY85/8.5Mb/1024kb/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash/Akai ADVANCE61/NI Komplete11 Ultimate/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu Mate 15.04/M-Audio MicroTrack

EXer
General
General

Post by EXer » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:43 pm

parametric wrote:The move to SSD HAS to be good for those gigging their Fusions though. On-the-Road is NOT a nice place for HDDs.
So, if you're NOT Gigging, then I would say that the move to SSD could be considered "optional"
parametric wrote:I'm sure PATA SSDs are already living on borrowed time . . . . :shock:
I don't gig with my Fusion, should I nevertheless consider buying a PATA SSD now and keep it as a spare just in case its HD breaks?
Fusion 8HD Klaus Schulze + 2 x Sector101 EXM-E3 128MB DRAM modules ; original 80 GB HD replaced with a SSD

parametric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by parametric » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:37 pm

I think it would be extremely WISE to do so.

I would download and print out the installation Guide too - and put them BOTH away somewhere safe.

parametric

EXer
General
General

Post by EXer » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:32 pm

parametric wrote:I think it would be extremely WISE to do so.
I'm becoming aware that the Fusion is the 1st keyboard I have which really IS a computer with computer problems and concerns :evil:

Of course I know that every digital instrument has a technical architecture similar to a computer, with a processor, memory, etc. but I've always felt my keyboards and rack modules were actually music instruments, most probably because the embedded systems they contain are well hidden and reliable.

With the Fusion I have a growing feeling that it's a computer dressed up as a music instrument. Maybe that's also because 1. I'm a bit disappointed by its preset piano sounds and I'm still obsessed and struggling to make a satisfactory piano program, which prevents me from just playing; 2. until now I've spent more time understanding its file system, loading sounds into its HD, building program banks (*) and struggling with Fusion Converter than actually playing it.
(*) e.g. I've replaced the 25 individual program folders (i.e. sound banks) from all the HS packs by only 3 banks (HS 6-10, HS free 1-10, HS free 11-20) ; I did the same with the V-Stream VoxHumana, Polymoog Strings 1 and Strings 2 programs so they are merged in ONE 'Polymoog' bank, etc. ; fortunately now it's done.
___

And now it's time to come back to music :mrgreen:
Fusion 8HD Klaus Schulze + 2 x Sector101 EXM-E3 128MB DRAM modules ; original 80 GB HD replaced with a SSD

parametric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by parametric » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:43 pm

I think it is largely unavoidable, that the great CAPABILITY we enjoy with boards these days, inevitably come with great COMPLEXITY.

I don't subscribe to the notion that the Fusion's Presets are rubbish, however, I never heard the original offering, and I guess that what I have now is a result of the (later) deliberations of Steve Howell and KPR . . . .

I don't think the Pianos are that bad, and I speak as one who HAS a real Piano (The one I learned on). I have used the Holy Grail often - one example is here: https://app.box.com/s/1zcrz6157zijef2ww9pd

That said, Piano Sounds ARE very personal and the argument as to which is best WILL rage on until the end of time . . . . :roll:

Perhaps check out KPRs stuff for the Fusion at backintimerecords.de There are some Pianos there, including a Holy Grail v2 . . . .

My MOXF6 has some great Pianos which I will explore at some stage when I can midi the Fusion to it.

The new Fusion CREATOR from ChickenSys sounds promising - and hopefully will be an improvement on the Converter, we got from Alesis . . . .

KPR's "My Fusion Secrets" Book offers a better insight into the inner workings of the Fusion, should you wish to delve deeper, and does offer some guidance on tweaking the sounds.

The Fusion's HD allows you to store your tweaks for reasonably easy access - and it is a great strenth of the Fusion that it is fairly easy to get BOTH midi AND Audio IN and OUT of the board - such that you can work as you please (with a DAW, for instance).

You appear to have done ALREADY what I SHOULD do, and that is to TIDY UP MY FUSION'S BANKS. It is a long job to audition SO MANY sounds and DECIDE what to keep and what to lose . . . .

Then you just have to remember where everything IS :shock:

DO let us know if/when you find YOUR Holy Grail :D

parametric

EXer
General
General

Post by EXer » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:26 pm

parametric wrote:DO let us know if/when you find YOUR Holy Grail :D
A quest for a Holy Grail, even if only MINE, would be endless, so I'm just seeking a satisfactory piano patch for solo use (classical and jazz). Nevertheless I'm afraid that will be just a little less endless since I'm a bit picky :mrgreen:

The HG sits well in a mix (btw, kudos for your song!), but my Fusion is to take the place of a digital piano at home so I don't have to set up the RD-700 I use on stage every time I want to play at home. I bought a Fusion instead of a 2nd digital piano because a used (but mint) 8HD was less expensive than a DP while having as good a keybed and a bonus multi synthesis synth engine.

For the time being the strategy I have chosen is to duplicate existing piano programs (i.e. the 'HG' and the 'HS Grand' programs) and to replace their preset multis by multis I have loaded into my Fusion (a 15 MB single layer Steinway C and a 15 MB single layer Yamaha C7) to have a good starting point for further tweaking.

parametric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by parametric » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:39 pm

Ok, I hear What you are saying - I think . . . .

If the new Fusion Creator from ChickenSys delivers what it promises, you should be able to sample the RD700 Piano(s) and create a Bank for the Fusion with some ease . .

The autoSample feature is disabled in the beta, currently, but should EVENTUALLY allow you to specify the note intervals sampled AND the degrees of velocity too which will enable you to DESIGN how large the Program will be . . . .

FWIW, I think the 8HD has a FANTASTIC keybed . . . .

parametric

Drummond
General
General

Post by Drummond » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:56 pm

The yamaha S90es piano I posted a while back is very good. A lot better than stock in my opinion http://www.worshipmusicians.org/communi ... unds.1445/
Alesis Fusion 6HD, 384mb, 80gb; Access Virus B; Univox Compac II; Hammond XK1C; Korg Kronos, 3gb/160gb; Moog Slim Phatty; Roland JP8000; Oberheim Matrix 1000; Casio MT600 and PT82; Cubase 10; Steinberg UR824; Motu Microlite / http://www.estudiodrummond.com.br

kpr
Advanced
Advanced

Post by kpr » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:27 am

EXer wrote:
I'm a bit disappointed by its preset piano sounds ...
The Fusion's HG Piano played solo:

https://youtu.be/A2KbW-xjT3k
Rock´n Roll is music, not driving instructions.

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:12 pm

kpr wrote:
EXer wrote:
I'm a bit disappointed by its preset piano sounds ...
The Fusion's HG Piano played solo:

https://youtu.be/A2KbW-xjT3k
Nice Klaus, I like the wood or wood grained end cap and bottom section, did you have that custom made for the Fusion?
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank

kpr
Advanced
Advanced

Post by kpr » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:31 pm

It is a wooden keyboard stand I got many years ago for my Korg T1. In fact it is a Korg BX3 stand, but works great for heavy master keyboards. When I moved the T1 to my project studio room B I placed the Fusion on it. I just cropped the feet a bit to fit it to my favorite playing position as the BX3 allows placing a bass pedal under it.

The stand is great and can be copied by a good carpenter. The construction is pretty simple and totally sturdy.
Rock´n Roll is music, not driving instructions.

pasgot

Post by pasgot » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:11 pm

Hi,
I finally got my 6HD upgraded with a SSD! I used this components:

- Transcend TS64GPSD330 internal SSD 64GB
- DELOCK Converter IDE 40pin > 6.35cm 2.5Z HDD SSD
- NOCTUA NF-A4x10 FLX - Fan - 40 mm, NF-A4X10 FLX

I drilled four holes in the case and mounted the SSD directly to the bottom. I attached the converter and fixed its position with a bit of hot glue. I formated the disk and reinstalled all programs, etc. But everytime I closed the case, the 6HD stuck while building the banks. When it was open again, everything worked. I noticed, that the cable from the top part of the case pushed the converter a little bit downwards, so that the soldering pins of the converter connected with the metal of the case, which resulted in a short circuit. So I placed a bit of a plastic isolation between the SSD/converter and the metal bottom. Now erverything works like a charme. I finally replaced the old and loud original fan by a Noctua fan. You can still hear the fan, but it is much quiter.

Thank you for your tips and hints.
Gerd

parametric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by parametric » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:42 pm

Sounds like a nice result there Gerd . . . . and THANKS for posting the parts details :!:

To be honest, the 64Gb is a fine choice.

My 8HD has a 128Gb (Just because I could :lol: )(which formats out to 120Gb) and I have all the HS stuff, plus quite a bit of Klaus' stuff and all of Joeri's - a whole rash of Songs I've made - and even the original demo tracks with their audio . . . and I've still used only ~8Gb . . . .

Unless you are going to do LOADS of Audio, then the 64Gb is PLENTY IMO . . . .

Enjoy your new quieter, cooler 6HD 8)

parametric