Backlight repair

General questions about the fusion belong here.

Moderators: Jesse, parametric, jeebustrain

THX1138
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

Re: Backlight repair

Post by THX1138 »

I received the parts a few days ago and got a chance to open my Fusion up today. I took both parts out of the Fusion, the inverter and dimmer boards, and found that a resistor, capacitor had blown on the inverter board as there is a burn mark on the Fusion casing. I checked the dimmer board and it appeared to be ok and I couldn't find any signs of damage so I replaced the inverter board only.

I put it back together and turned the Fusion on only to find that it had changed nothing! :x So I asummed that the display bulb had blown, this is going by other users comments on this site, so I phoned Alesis UK to see if I could get any help but to no avail as they have no real experience with the Fusion and to be fair to them they have been taken over by Numark. So any info regarding the Fusion by owners in the UK might as well go straight to Alesis US as this is what the guys at Numark would do if anyone had a query, thus saving yourself some time.

So I bit the bullet and again opened the Fusion up and changed the dimmer board as well as a last ditch attempt to repair it. Put it back together, turned it on and IT WORKS A TREAT :D so it just goes to show that if you do get this problem you will need to change both boards even if it looks like its just the inverter board.
Here are the parts list from http://www.instrumentalparts.com

Item# 9-79-0365 PCB, CCFL Inverter - Fusion 6HD/8HD

Item# 9-79-0366 PCB, CCFL Dimmer - Fusion 6HD/8HD

BTW I am in the UK and these parts only took 4-5 days to arrive so pretty quick service.

So I now have a bright clear display again. I think I may buy these boards again as a back up just in case as they are relatively cheap.
Last edited by THX1138 on Tue May 11, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crgl
Advanced
Advanced

Post by crgl »

The same thing happened to me. I had to change both boards.
Good to see that you repaired your Fusion.
Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse »

Thanks for the follow up info, this may prove helpful to the rest of us in the future. :)

Jesse
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank
Mupp99

Post by Mupp99 »

My Fusion screen just went dark and I smelled a burning smell, and then some smoke came out. I've found this thread and I'm going to order the replacement parts mentioned above and try and get it working again. The weird thing was this literally happened at the same time as I plugged a cable into the aux outputs. I thought it was the audio cable doing weird things at first but I cannot see how an audio cable would make a screen go wrong. There's no physical link.

The inverter board really smells bad (other bits do not smell bad!) so I think this is what is going wrong.

I'll try and replace these and update you on here so the next person who has this happen to them can hopefully benefit as well.

13 years of music and hundreds of £££ worth of music libraries on this thing so no way am I letting it just die on me.

Sadly right now the inverter is out of stock at instrumentalparts.com so I'm kind of stuck.
Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse »

I hope everything works out good for you, keep us updated :)
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank
Mupp99

Post by Mupp99 »

I sent off for the replacement boards - they weren't cheap (about $45 each) and I could only get a second hand inverter board as they were out of stock of unused onces. I paid for the expensive Fedex delivery so I could get them quickly and track them fully.

Fitted the parts, they work OK and the screen is back!

The only problem noiw is...the right main ouotput is dead! I can't work out if this was something I did when I had the board open or not. Aux outputs still work fine but I use both sets because it is very handy for applying effects etc. in the DAW.

I should add that after payment it took a day for the parts to get posted by instrumentalparts.com and Fedex had them over the Atlantic to me in about 2 days. This wasn't a cheap fix I can say that....$155 in total!
Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse »

For the future you would be better off eliminating the OEM backlight, inverter PCB & dimmer PCB with an led backlight and
just install an LED backlight https://www.alesismusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5883

or New Display with LED Backlight https://www.alesismusic.com/viewtopic.p ... 3&start=30