Which headphone do you like?

From helpful tips to frustrating problems, this is the place.

Moderators: Jesse, parametric, Jesse, parametric

godyn
General
General

Which headphone do you like?

Post by godyn »

Now for something else:
What do you prefer, which type from headphones for sound creation?

I have 3 headphones, but they all sound very different.
So it's very difficult to know if the high or lows are at the right level.
I should go for my (old) Senheiser, but than again, the basses are very thin here.

The headphones output should be not coullored, a neutral sound.
Which one do you have?
Gearlist: Fusion 8HD K.S. - Yamaha Ex5, Ex5r, Korg Triton ProX88, Roland D50, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Hammond XB2, Boss SE-70
JimK
Junior
Junior

Re: Which headphone do you like?

Post by JimK »

Sony MDR 7506 headphones have matched up well with my JBL speaker system and with responses from others who have listened to music recorded while monitored through the 7506. Interestingly, I bought another set of MDR 7506 headphones last year and they sound the same as those I purchased about 15 years ago. Along time ago I had Koss Electrostatic headphones which sounded very "clean" but kept burning up and required an amp to run them. Bottom line is that for about $100 I don't think you can go far wrong with this SONY "Professional" headset. You will be pleased.
mozape
General
General
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

Post by mozape »

I've been using AKG K240M headphones for years, as well as Sennheiser, Sony & Audio Technica Pro Series headphones. I also use Sony earbuds with my mp3 players.
lildave
Advanced
Advanced

Post by lildave »

I use Sennheiser HD 280 PRO's. I liked them enough to buy my wife the silver edition.
You do you. Do your thing.
godyn
General
General

Post by godyn »

I have the M-Audio i30 eadbuds also, but cannot say I'm happy with their sound. Although the construction is very well done.
Gearlist: Fusion 8HD K.S. - Yamaha Ex5, Ex5r, Korg Triton ProX88, Roland D50, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Hammond XB2, Boss SE-70
kpr
Advanced
Advanced

Post by kpr »

I have a Pro 2 headphone and this is the most bass power headphone I ever had and I like it very much. I am using it for more than 15 years now and bought 2 more just as reserve. It also allows high volume without any distortion and the treble range is fantastic too.

But, I must say that I avoid using headphones for sound making, especially when doing new Presets for hours and hours a day. The risk is pretty high to set too much volume sometimes and forget to turn the volume down. Also it sounds really different when playing the Fusion sounds with headphones compared to studio monitor speakers, no matter what headphones you are using.

Cheers

Klaus
Rock´n Roll is music, not driving instructions.
jima
General
General

Post by jima »

godyn wrote:Now for something else:
What do you prefer, which type from headphones for sound creation?

I have 3 headphones, but they all sound very different.
So it's very difficult to know if the high or lows are at the right level.
I should go for my (old) Senheiser, but than again, the basses are very thin here.

The headphones output should be not coullored, a neutral sound.
Which one do you have?
I suspect you may have something like a Sennheiser 414 or 424 which although quite good are thin on the bass. I use mostly my Sennheiser HD580 and HD650. I much prefer the HD650 for general listening but find the HD580 to be a little more neutral and quite a good match to the reproduction of my monitors (Tannoy Mercury) so I have to politely disagree with Klaus here.

Jim
Jim
Yamaha EX5x2, AN1X, TG500, Moog Werkstatt, Korg Wavestation SR, Sigma, Legacy Digital, Nord G2 Engine, Focusrite PRO 40, Midiman MIDISPORT 8x8/s
Loves music but so little time.
Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse »

I have the Sony MDR-V700 headphones that I like very much.
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank
Luc Henrion
Extreme
Extreme

Post by Luc Henrion »

Ultrasone. Even the "low cost" (by comparison with other models of Ultrasone...) Pro 550 is the best I've ever heard. I use it all the time.

http://www.ultrasone.com/index_en.php?l ... 9b87b0a78e
electRiq
Advanced
Advanced

Post by electRiq »

I also like the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro (hello lildave ;)) since years. But nothing for mixing, "they" hear everything. Also bad loop points on samples... :mrgreen:
The factor of cpu power and user brain is always constant
Alesis Fusion 8HD, Clavia Nord Modular G2X, SM Pro Audio V-Machine, Edirol M-16DX
migebo
Junior
Junior

Post by migebo »

Hi there,

I use an AKG K 701, AKG K 500 ( old type ) and a Beyerdynamic DT 150 ( and a Sony MDR-XD300 low budget trash, not worth to explain, just ok for an awful lot cold beer and extrem loud music... )

AKG is the first manufacturer in the world to use revolutionary flat-wire technology in headphones, namely, the K 701. The result is a truly dramatic sound that places every musician at their correct location with pinpoint accuracy. This kind of agility, spaciousness, brilliant highs and velvety, punchy bass is simply miraculous. These superlative open-back dynamic headphones provide an outstandingly accurate sound and excellent imaging.

In his time the older K 500 was one of the most coveted headphone in a similar trendsetting sound and headphonedesign like the K 701 today. I have used it for more than 18 years...

The DT 150 is a dynamic studio headphone for use in broadcasting, film and recording studios and other audio monitoring applications where comfort and performance are primary requirements. Due to its closed design it features excellent ambient noise isolation for reference monitoring. The noise isolation was the most important point for me and the comfort on my head. The smaller one ( type 100 ) is oldfashioned like the K 500 and was used in every professional studio in the world.

But my love is the AKG 701

Yours

Michael
e=Fusion²
My last english lesson was in 1981...so please be patient with me....
ca-ngap
Junior
Junior

Post by ca-ngap »

I'm not using full size headphone anymore, they always hurt my ears. I switch a Koss KSC35, which is an ear clip headphone.
sonicwarrior
General
General

Post by sonicwarrior »

Beyerdynamic DT-770 because they have the bass I want. :D
Jokeyman123
General
General

Post by Jokeyman123 »

AKG K240 old German model 600 ohms w/headphone amp if needed and AKG K301 flat eq for monitoring-large earcups are comfortable for my big fat head. Superlux-big surprise-HD681 and HD668B, not the EVO's. Sound surprisingly good but a little bass-heavy not for flat eq monitoring. Pretty decent imaging-good frequency range for acoustic pianos.
Saul
Publisher
Do you own a fusion?: No

Post by Saul »

I am using these Yamaha HPH-MT5 at the moment.

Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Whites DFX 300mm!