rotary fast/slow switch with knobs or s1 s2

From helpful tips to frustrating problems, this is the place.

Moderators: Jesse, parametric

Jokeyman123
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

rotary fast/slow switch with knobs or s1 s2

Post by Jokeyman123 »

I have been tearing my hair out-both of them-studying mod routing settings-specifically the rotary effects for switching from fast to slow speed directly with-well anything! I cannot seem to get how this is done. I get how to edit any of the rotary settings and can switch all of these manually from the edit screens-I just can't seem to see how to directly connect/control the rotary effects with any of the controllers-and KPR-I don't have enough of your organ programs to see how you did it. I see how to control bringing oscillators in and out for a multiple drawbar effect-but i can't seem to understand how the controllers (T switches and S1 and S2) are directly connected to the rotary effects-motor on/off is very effective also. I noticed many old posts from jebustrain (jr2058) who did alot of work with this, but his uploads here are long gone I'm afraid as he posted these on an external website. He even created a way to make an 11-drawbar organ (!) in the Fusion using an 11-track mix setting, controlled with external drawbars from a separate keyboard contoller. Its right here in this user group. The more I learn, the more amazing this gets!
Jesse
Administrator
Administrator

Re: rotary fast/slow switch with knobs or s1 s2

Post by Jesse »

Tempus & Ludwig Drums, Roto Toms, Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire Mixer, AKG D112, Behringer B2, Shure Beta 58a Microphones, Windows 10, Audigy Soundcard, Audition 3, Sony MDR-7506 Headphones, Kontakt 6 & East West Goliath Sound Banks
Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

No Jesse-this does not seem to be true with mine at least-the mod wheel is not set to control leslie speed as this post describes-it kicks in more LFO on a few, but not quite what I want to do.I think some of KPR's might be, but I don't have his sample set for organs and this does not seem to be true for the factory organs at all. I had read this post-along with just about every other on this user group-and the older Fusioneer group posts. Except for jebustrain's posts-which don't describe quite how to do this either-not with the S1/S2 or T buttons-I can't seem to understand how to set he mod routing to switch speeds, turn the motor setting on/off-I just don't quite understand how to create a new modulation setting to get this to work-I know it can be done, I just haven't figured out how-reading the reference manual-KPR's docs, I'm still stuck. I've scrolled through all the mod settings, insert and bus effects settings for rotary-all I need to know is how to create a modulation setting (I think) that will switch these rotary settings, control them somehow. I've broken down the settings for just about every factory organ program in my Fusion-still not getting it. I think it has to do with my not quite grasping the complexities of the modulation routings-although I have a pretty good grasp of many modulation settings now-just not this! And I have Line 6 Rotopod leslie effect pedal I bought a few years ago-I'd just like to learn to grasp this mystery using the Fusion's rotary DSPs.
hadley
General
General

Post by hadley »

At least with the T1-4 buttons I don't think you can do it. I never managed to get those 4 to do anything useful, other than send a midi message on press (and on release i think).

If I understand you right, though, what you want to do should be possible with the S1 or S2, or indeed with the knobs.

Bring up your organ program, for example Preset1 C1. Go to Edit - Effects - Mod

You will see some mods in there already. Preset1 C1 has the mod wheel mapped to Insert 1 (Leslie) motor speed.
Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

Thanks Hadley-C-1 does use the mod wheel I will study this one over again. And yes, I cannot seem to find any mod routings with the T buttons or S1/S2 that will switch any of the rotary settings on/off.

Jesse I correct myself, sorry-there are 5 factory presets that are using the mod wheel to change either the leslie speed, or the LFO intensity, not a true Leslie speed on/off, and knob 3 seems to have a common mod setting that does seem to bring in either a faster or more intense LFO on most of the organ sounds but from what I can see, the knob 3 setting is controlling LFO, not the rotary switches. My SY77 also uses this LFO trick to simulate a fast leslie rotor, but it is not very realistic, at least to my ears having already been assaulted with at least 3 different leslie speakers in my gigging experiences including a prisitine 122 my friend Artie kept in his living room for us to play on his B-3 whenever we wanted to-his neighbors must have been deaf, he lived in a townhouse!

The mod wheel organs are in preset bank 1 C-5 ballad organ; bank 2 C-1 Jazz percussion as Hadley mentioned; and bank 3 C-2 full drawbars and C-5 ballad organ 2. Preset banks 4 and 5 don't use the mod wheel for any rotary setting or switch. I am thinking that jeebustrain's original solution-where he used 2 separate bus effects for a fast and slow rotary, preset in each separate DSP setting-so he could bring either one bus or the other in or out with separate control knobs to get the fast/slow effect to work-might be the only workable way to switch the motor on/off or fast/slow-either that or back to my Line 6 rotopod. Good thing about all this-it is forcing me to learn in a more intense way-how to use the mod routings-although with 32 possibilities-I would think the T switches are in there somewhere! i can get the octave effects to work, volume and oscillators on/off with the T switches-but still can't suss out the organ rotary DSP's-the critical settings are motor on/off-and fast/slow. Same for the pedal setting-can't seem to find that one either for controlling rotry speed or motor on/off. got to be in here somewhere!!!! so Hadley-looks like you are right-there might not be. I'll check the reference manual-again.

And Jesse-I'm not sure if my PM to you went through-I had asked if there was any possibility jeebustrain's old uploads (2007) had been archived anywhere-I know he is gone from this group-but his posts are all here, as are links to where he originally posted his rotary organ programs-which unfortunately are not there anymore either, were on fileden which doesn't seem to have these anymore.
Jesse
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jesse »

I searched my files last night, but did not find any thing related to this.

I have emailed jeebustrain and requested any information he may have on Alesis Fusion Leslie Speaker Effects
Tempus & Ludwig Drums, Roto Toms, Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire Mixer, AKG D112, Behringer B2, Shure Beta 58a Microphones, Windows 10, Audigy Soundcard, Audition 3, Sony MDR-7506 Headphones, Kontakt 6 & East West Goliath Sound Banks
Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

Wow, Jesse you are the man! The Fusion will now be one of my gigging boards-and I use organ programs quite often, this is an important function for me. think Greg Allman B-3 leads. Thanks much.
Jesse
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jesse »

Did you see this thread on the Fusion Club?

https://fusioneer.proboards.com/search/ ... rch=Search
Jesse
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jesse »

Did you see this thread on the Fusion Club?

https://fusioneer.proboards.com/thread/ ... ato-effect
Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

Thanks Jesse, no I didn't see this one-it sounds very similar to what jeebustrain described-I saved the texts from these posts-and am still experimenting around with the settings. I think the trick is to set up and control 2 separate rotary DSP bus effects with 2 control knobs. Not fussy about how to kick in the effect, but the buttons would be nice if i can do it. I noticed a few of the organ tones used the S1 and S2 switches to get percussion in and out-which is very handy-and this is done simply by setting one of the oscillators to a click sample-and controlling that osc on/off with the mod routing for S1 and S2. And i am thinking setting one bus effect to a fast rotary connected to S! and insert or bus 2 to slow-or motor off with S2 can accomplish this too. Will try these ideas out tonight.
Jesse
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jesse »

I received an email back from jeebustrain (Brian) his Fusion died on him a couple years ago and he did not remember much about the Leslie settings :(
Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

Thanks Jesse, it was worth a try-I'll work on this, I think I have enough to go on now. I've nailed just about everything else with the Fusion-the modulation routings are the "final frontier" for me at least. Once i get a clear understanding as to how these function-and I am over time-every other function is easy!

Editing this post-mostly for myself but-I missed an important step-why I could not suss out how to set up 2 separate bus effects with the knobs, T switches or anything else-I was looking at the"edit" "mod" tabs instead of the "effects" edit tabs-which is where mod sources and destinations for the effects are, not under edit mods screen. a small detail, but that solved my problem. That was what I could not understand. The "effects" mod settings must be edited from the effects screen, not the mod screen. I kept trying to create a modulation routing for the effects without that critical step. The reference manual, in a very roundabout (no offense Yes fans) way does describe this, I just had to understand the distinction-thinking that any modulation source and destination would be created-at the modulation edit screen, not the effects edit screen. Woosh! I think I've gotten it now. I know this is old news for alot of you here, but not for me! Thanks all.