Damaged 6HD repair options . . . .

Moderators: Jesse, parametric

parametric
Administrator
Administrator
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

Re: Damaged 6HD repair options . . . .

Post by parametric »

Not possible to photograph the CF pins as they are too deep inside - I don't want to strip out the shielding to uncover the pcb at this point.

So this is a graphical representation of what I see . . . . x = broken pin, o = unspoiled pin :

xxxxxooxooooooooooooooooo
xxxxxoooooooooooooooooxxx

With this much damage - I've not tried a CF card in the slot . . . .

Chris
Alesis Fusions 8SSD + 6SSD/384Mb/120Gb SSD/Yamaha SY85/8.5Mb/1024kb/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash/Akai ADVANCE61/NI Komplete11 Ultimate/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu Mate 15.04/M-Audio MicroTrack

https://chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Jesse
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jesse »

Replacement of the CF card reader should be relatively easy, once the solder points that appear to be only used to hold the CF card reader port in place are desoldered it would just be a matter of using a heating device on the fingers and lifting it off the PCB then place the new CF card reader port on the PCb in the provided alignment holes making sure the fingers are properly aligned on the PCB, solder the retaining tabs to the PCB and then connect the fingers to the PCB with a proper heating device. At least that's my point of view :)

Piece of cake (German Chocolate would be nice)
Tempus & Ludwig Drums, Roto Toms, Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire Mixer, AKG D112, Behringer B2, Shure Beta 58a Microphones, Windows 10, Audigy Soundcard, Audition 3, Sony MDR-7506 Headphones, Kontakt 6 & East West Goliath Sound Banks
Jesse
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jesse »

by Anicyne "I read of Parametric's HD6 standoff problem, there's a 2-part compound metal-based expoxy that I've used over the past 30 years called 'PC7' that aheres to and can be shaped into anything desired. It's original military specd use was fixing tank treads and such. I've repaired all types of plactic and metal piece, and after it hardens it's like steel; used it to form a chrome bumper mountings, join copper/brass joints and plug a damaged truck radiator. Never had much luck with JBWeld."

https://www.google.com/search?q=%27PC7& ... e&ie=UTF-8
Tempus & Ludwig Drums, Roto Toms, Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire Mixer, AKG D112, Behringer B2, Shure Beta 58a Microphones, Windows 10, Audigy Soundcard, Audition 3, Sony MDR-7506 Headphones, Kontakt 6 & East West Goliath Sound Banks
Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

Yes, I have PC7 sitting in my desk drawer, have recently used it on my 8HD but only for the brass inserts in the endcaps. It is very strong-needs a good 24 hours to set though if you use it. JB Weld quickset is pretty good too but not quite as strong as the non-quickset JB Weld. PC7 and 11 adhere to some of these PVC plastics if I rough up the surface with sandpaper or something similar. I also have PC-11 which is the marine grade (waterproof) version of the PC7. Not sure if its available in the UK, but can be ordered easily enough online I guess.
parametric
Administrator
Administrator

Post by parametric »

State of play with the repair is that I wait (still) for InMusic to get out of bed and produce the parts I have ordered.

Same with InstrumentalParts. They currently "aren't allowed" to ship to the UK - following Brexit. . . . . so I'm shafted - ATM . . . .

Meantime, I've bought THIS: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224379502534 ... OSwzGFgR1g~

a Chinese knockoff of a very expensive Japanese piece of kit, I'm told

This seems to be what I need if I go ahead and try to replace the CF socket myself.

I have no experience with SMT at all - so I'm more than apprehensive . . .

If I F*** up that pcb, it's a £500 bill for a replacement (IF I can find one). . . . :o

Chris
Alesis Fusions 8SSD + 6SSD/384Mb/120Gb SSD/Yamaha SY85/8.5Mb/1024kb/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash/Akai ADVANCE61/NI Komplete11 Ultimate/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu Mate 15.04/M-Audio MicroTrack

https://chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris