HD speed comparison results

posts related to SSD Drives will be relocated here

Moderators: Jesse, parametric

Jokeyman123
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

HD speed comparison results

Post by Jokeyman123 »

Might be here already-I think Jesse's done some speed tests already-but ran 2 tests on my 8HD's-one has the 64GB Kingspec PATA solid-state drive-the other has a 120GB Western Digital running 7400RPM's, not sure what the buffer memory is but the newer larger drives had 8-16Mb of buffer memory-this is a very solid, fast hard drive. I ran only 2 tests-one test in (all modes) the other in (last mode only) and left everything as I have it currently-a few songs in each, many of the added program banks from Hollow Sun, KPR and others.

The SSD 8HD running boot version 1.02 (my older Fusion apparently) and ROM 1.24 booted up in 12.3 seconds in last mode, 19.9 in all mode.
The Western digital running boot rom 1.10 and OS 1.24-booted up identically-My conclusion is that no matter how fast the drive-the older IDE bus speed in our Fusions will still limit even the fastest drive to real-world times something like this-which considering it is loading the HG piano and many other samples into RAM, plus my songs data and whatever samples are needed from other banks-this is pretty fast. Both my fusions also have the expanded memory modules, so I have no idea if these modules are speeding up the boot-up times, but could be. and i never did an accurate timing test with the older 40GB before I replaced it-I guess it might be pretty close to the same numbers, maybe a tad slower? Would be interested if anyone wants to post bootup times, what you are running.
Jesse
Administrator
Administrator

Re: HD speed comparison results

Post by Jesse »

I think boot up times are controlled by where the boot strap and OS reside in the firmware and/or ROM, basically the HDD or SDD just store the Programs, Samples, Multi-samples, Mixes, etc. Real speed gains come from the Expanded Memory being able to load lots of Programs in memory then call them up almost instantly at least that is what I do. I create User Program folders with copies of the programs I want in a certain group then I run them to load them into memory once that is done I can play them almost instantly.

I can fit all of these programs in the Memory of my 8HD with E3 Expanded Memory and not have to reload any of them unless I load other programs that might replace some of them :)
In this case I have 48 Programs, Samples, Multi-samples, Mixes, etc. loaded in memory. The maximum number of Programs, Samples, Multi-samples, Mixes, etc. you can load into memory will depend on how much memory your Fusion has available and the size of the Programs, Samples, Multi-samples, Mixes, etc.
JMS Favorites 1 Bank
JMS Favorites 1 Bank
JMS Favorites 01 Bank.jpg (220.62 KiB) Viewed 59 times
Tempus & Ludwig Drums, Roto Toms, Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire Mixer, AKG D112, Behringer B2, Shure Beta 58a Microphones, Windows 10, Audigy Soundcard, Audition 3, Sony MDR-7506 Headphones, Kontakt 6 & East West Goliath Sound Banks
Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

That is impressive-given most of the sounds I tend to use are the "bread and butter' pianos, organs, strings brass-it is another amazing aspect to the Fusion that this many programs can be instantly accessed. i was just curious as to if there were any real-world differences in boot-up between different hard drives-seems not to make much difference.
parametric
Administrator
Administrator

Post by parametric »

Yeah - sadly the Fusion's IDE controller rather homogenises the performance, such that the expected SSD speed advantage can't be realised.

However the reduction in heat, weight, drive-noise and shock immunity are definitely beneficial with an SSD.

There is negligible difference in the speed that stuff is fetched, be it from HDD or SSD . . . .

As Jesse says, expanding the memory with E3s WILL allow more programs in Ram - which will then be much quicker than fetching from Disk.

Chris
Alesis Fusions 8SSD + 6SSD/384Mb/120Gb SSD/Yamaha SY85/8.5Mb/1024kb/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash/Akai ADVANCE61/NI Komplete11 Ultimate/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu Mate 15.04/M-Audio MicroTrack

https://chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

You know I've done that-added the memory moduleswith both 8HDs-cost me a few dollars-there is a noticeable difference in how much info I can boot up, and how much I can add after boot-up as Jesse doc'd. One of the reasons i was hoping to hack into the firmware-to see if we could modify the IDE protocol-to bump it up to the more advanced IDE speeds-the Fusion uses the older, slower IDE speed for transferring data in/out of the bus. 133MB per sec. is theoretically possible with the fastest IDE spec-that would make a huge difference in disk access times. And...those 256MB memory modules-hypothetically-looking at the Coldfire IC specs-it should be able to handle the extra memory address of 256MB-but again, the firmware would have to re-written to do that. it would take a major software/hardware engineer to accomplish that, I've deduced after studying this in depth. Not saying it couldn't be done-I can't do it myself, I wish I could.