Step by step guide to sample a keyboard?

Got sampling problems, tips, or questions? Post them here.

Moderators: Jesse, parametric

Jokeyman123
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

Re: Step by step guide to sample a keyboard?

Post by Jokeyman123 »

Git it, thanks again for the clarification KPR.
cb
New User
New User

Post by cb »

The Akai's MPC Software 2 has an interesting autosampler feature. Here is how it works:
cb
New User
New User

Post by cb »

Just noticed that the Akai's free MPC Beats software (https://www.akaipro.com/mpc-beats) has the Autosampler feature as well, and supports VSTi plugins. It can sample VSTi or external MIDI/CV instruments. The sampler generates .xpm files.
Jesse
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jesse »

If *.xpm is Akai's sample format, we may be able to change that to *.AFS or AFI for a multi sample and have the samples work in the Alesis Fusion since the MPC 5000 is basically half of a Fusion :)
Tempus & Ludwig Drums, Roto Toms, Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire Mixer, AKG D112, Behringer B2, Shure Beta 58a Microphones, Windows 10, Audigy Soundcard, Audition 3, Sony MDR-7506 Headphones, Kontakt 6 & East West Goliath Sound Banks
cb
New User
New User

Post by cb »

The .xpm is Akai MPC specific, but it is a text xml format. At the same time, a bunch of .wav files are generated, one for each sampled note/layer. The .xpm file has information about the .wav corresponding to a note, looping points, volume and pan levels, filters etc.

I did not find yet an .xpm to fusion converter, but think that there is enough info to convert the .xpm and associated .wav to an open standard format like SoundFont, and use the free Fusion converter to create the Fusion program.
cb
New User
New User

Post by cb »

On another topic, wanted to share some of the MPC Beats benefits.
I wanted to integrate Alesis Fusion in a DAW centric studio that mixes the HW synth, VSTi, audio tracks, and allows control for each track level from the DAW's mixer. The analog output of the HW synth goes into one input of the DAW mixer.
The problem is that most of DAWs do not send the track levels from the DAW mixer over MIDI, to the hw synth, in a straightforward way. I tried Ableton, PreSonus, Cakewalk all with some shortcomings, but MPC Beats did it right. On top of that, I think this is the only free commercial DAW (some people debate that this in not a DAW) that offers VST hosting, plus a lot of other goodies (ex. Autosampler).
kpr
Advanced
Advanced

Post by kpr »

In the meantime, I also looked at Polyphone again, it resembles Viena. A slightly easier to use mapping software is Björn Bohjahr's Sample Mapper, which is also freeware for PC and Mac. The GUI is quite clear. However, the program saves in SFX format, which you then have to convert to Soundfont. Here is the description (in German), a tutorial for sampling is also available on this website.

https://www.bjoernbojahr.de/bjoerns-sample-mapper.html

https://www.bjoernbojahr.de/sampling-workshop.html
Rock´n Roll is music, not driving instructions.
Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

Still liking Viena after looking over other choices. Bjorn's looks very close to Viena-i didn't care too much for Polyphone-looks a little like Legos for sampling! but then I like the old jazzware+ midi sequencer/DAW and the old Cakewalk.

Good guide for Bjorn's software though, translates well from the German.
kpr
Advanced
Advanced

Post by kpr »

Unfortunately, most mapping programs are not designed in a very simple way. Especially important things like the keyboard graphics are very small, so that working with them is very fiddly and not really clear. Therefore, I first write everything down in a notebook and only then type everything into the input fields of the software. This is also important for later debugging and corrections, for example if the automatic mapping doesn't quite produce the result that the best overall keyboard consistency needs. The neighboring samples sometimes don't match well, so you have to move the mapping here and there.

Even in NI Kontakt and Logic this is not better. The really best overview and handling is offered by the Clavia Nord Sample Instruments Editor. Unfortunately, it does not save in other formats. But even with its last update to version 3.0, things were changed in a way that made it worse to work with. I therefore still work with version 2.0, after I was not at all satisfied with 3.0.

In Viena, some functions were complicated in the course of the actually good further development. Therefore, I have uninstalled the updates again and work with my favorite version 0.93, which I had fortunately saved as a backup.

Another quite good mapping software is ManyMapper from ManyTone. It saves in Wusikstation format, which can be converted to Soundfont with ESC. But it's not that practical for velocity switches, so I only use it for simple multisamples.
Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

KPR-

The Manymapper looks the simplest of the bunch-but looking at their website-I don't see a download-only for the manual. am I missing something? This looks like a very good program for what I am doing-creating a series of "soundbytes" across the Fusion keys-short one-shot samples without layering, looping etc.-similar to creating a one-layer drum map, but using short loops or vocal samples. I can handle more complex sample mapping with Viena-but for speed of mapping, manymappper would be perfect.
kpr
Advanced
Advanced

Post by kpr »

The program is already a few years old, I have it on an old XP computer, there it works. If the Manytone store is out, you could ask them if you can still get it. It is not copy protected and not a stand alone program, just put it in the folder with the samples and you can work with it.