Audio Interface Advice

Anything goes here...well almost anything!

Moderators: Jesse, parametric

jiffy
Advanced
Advanced
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

Audio Interface Advice

Post by jiffy »

Perhaps I should post this in Focusrite site, but thought I'd try here first!

For years I used my Roland Sonic Cell as my audio interface for my DAW (Cakewalk Sonar). This worked OK for me.
I could record and play back MIDI and audio in my DAW and then record a final (audio) mix onto another track (in the DAW).

After an update to Windows 10, it stopped working.
However, some clever bod discovered a workaround by editing the Sonic Cell drivers and then doing some magic using DOS commands and rebooting the PC several times.

This was quite time consuming and it had to be done nearly every time there was a Windows update.
After a while, I got a bit fed up having to go through this procedure all the time and decided it was time for a new audio interface and decided on a Focusrite Scarlett 2!2

Perhaps I should have done more research, as although I can record and play back MIDI and audio OK, when I go for the final mix onto a new audio track, it does not record any audio tracks (.wav), it only records the audio from MIDI instruments. I've tried various settings in Sonar, but with no joy.

Looking at the Focusrite range again, I notice that all the rest of the Scarlett range have something called Loopback which seems to be able to record PC audio into a DAW, but isn't clear whether it can record audio tracks into a separate audio track (i.e. doing a mixdown).

Sorry for the long preamble, but my question is does anyone know if, say, the Focusrite Scarlett 4!4, will allow this?

Going back years, my soundblaster had 'record what you hear' and the Sonic Cell had a similar feature. Is this Loopback the same thing?

Thanks, Paul
Saul
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Audio Interface Advice

Post by Saul »

Hi Paul

I think you already know the answer to this and "Loopback" is it :)

This lets you record audio from your PC/Mac into a DAW so, essentially a DAW out to a DAW in, which is what you want to do. Loopback uses "virtual" inputs rather than hardware inputs. And this is the reason why you cannot get the audio into your final mix track.

Having said all that, you should still be able to "bounce down" into a final mix within Sonar. So the Scarlet 2I2 is not active in that part of the process.
https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation? ... ng.45.html
Dowina Guitars Brand Ambassador
Alesis Fusion 6HD/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab Essential 88/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Ryzen 3600 Hackintosh/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/IK Multimedia iLoud MTM Compact Studio Monitor Speakers.
jiffy
Advanced
Advanced

Post by jiffy »

Thanks, Saul
That is what I thought, but I had to check!

I'll give "bounce down" a go - it would save me the cost of a new interface!
Saul
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saul »

I am always up for saving money :lol:

By the way, I use a USB mixer for everything these days. It is far more versatile than the usual audio interface. No MIDI of course but all my keyboards connect to the computer via USB so I can record MIDI straight in if need be.

My mixer is the Behringer Xenyx QX1202USB
Behringer-Xenyx-1202USB.png
Behringer-Xenyx-1202USB.png (506.09 KiB) Viewed 236 times
Dowina Guitars Brand Ambassador
Alesis Fusion 6HD/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab Essential 88/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Ryzen 3600 Hackintosh/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/IK Multimedia iLoud MTM Compact Studio Monitor Speakers.
Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

I have an older focusrite firewire interface, I just picked up to experiment with-it also has a loopback function for reasons Saul has already detailed. Should do what you want. And Saul-yes these little "sub-mixers" work a treat, very handy.
Drummond
General
General

Post by Drummond »

I recommend Steinberg interfaces. Have been using a UR824 with 2 ada8000 since 2013-14 with zero problems and it is still being supported.
Access Virus B; Akai MPD18; Alesis Fusion 6HD, 384mb, 64gb ssd; Behringer FCB1010 x2; Behringer Model D; Casio MT600 and PT82; Hammond XK1C; Korg Kronos, 3gb/288gb; Korg Trinity Pro (solo-tri); Korg NanoPad 2; Moog Slim Phatty; Novation X-Station 61; Oberheim Matrix 1000; Univox Compac II; Yamaha Modx6; Cubase 11; Steinberg UR824 + 2 ADA8000; Motu Microlite; ESI M4UXL; DoReMidi Hub-3