Anything goes here...really, anything!

Moderators: Jesse, parametric, jeebustrain

etherealnate
General
General
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

Video Game Music

Post by etherealnate »

I'm interested in knowing if anyone else considers video game music to be a big influence to them and their music creation. Or perhaps you just have a fond memory of music from a game. Video game music has definitely had an impact on my sound design, especially music from the SNES (Who's sound engine is XG based I think). A few that have had the most impact are the Donkey Kong series which used the sound engine in the SNES brilliantly, The Legend of Zelda with it's orchestral arrangements and movie like scores, F-Zero with it's rock based music and of course the lovable Super Mario Bros. The Sega systems use of FM synthesizer has also had an impact on me, especially the Sonic the Hedgehog game. Clearly the fusion would be a great tool for creating video game music and especially the emerging 8-bit music genre.

So do you peeps (1) have fond memories of video game music and (2) site video game music as having an impact on your style?

Nate.
Ziddles
Junior
Junior

Post by Ziddles »

I think it's definitely affected my playing, I mean the first song I ever learned was the mario theme, and when I first started all I was interested in learning was video game music to impress my friends. I think video game music was just about the main reason I ever even started playing.
Olga

Re: Video Game Music

Post by Olga »

Video games and commercials make a serious impact I guess because it's a repetitive type of music that one hears over and over again. Finally, it gets stuck in one's brain and it inevitably ends up with having some idea.
mackjackson
Do you own a fusion?: No

Post by mackjackson »

I'm interested to play the game, but music in the game it feels to do whatever you want. So music is important in games, So people can fell it.
parametric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by parametric »

While I was still working at the Uni, we had this undergraduate who was actually employed during his first year at Uni, writing music for video games.

He often mentioned the difficulty of writing for the FM chip that was extensively used at that time . . . .

When he graduated, he made me copies of some of his work (Game and Non-Game).

This example is probably as good as it gets from that chip. It was for a football game of the period.

He even manged to get some samples in there . . . :shock:
FOOTY ROCK.zip
Composed by, and © Wayne Urquart ~ 1992
(3.55 MiB) Downloaded 25 times
. . . . . (Sorry, the board won't allow .mp3)

parametric
Last edited by parametric on Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Re-uploaded the .zip file 23/09/2020
Alesis Fusions 8SSD + 6SSD/384Mb/120Gb SSD/Yamaha SY85/8.5Mb/1024kb/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash/Akai ADVANCE61/NI Komplete11 Ultimate/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu Mate 15.04/M-Audio MicroTrack

https://chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse »

Chris I downloaded this, but when I went to extract it it said it was corrupt, would you upload it again, thanks ... Jesse

Thanks Chris, interesting, nice music
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank
Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse »

Evolution of Game Music (1980 - 2018)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evJaa6xcr3Y

Double-jump into these legendary video game soundtracks, featuring old favourites and new classics.
On spotify 5 hr 2 min on Spotify
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9d ... fOcg1fm0VG
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank
Sir Raven
Junior
Junior

Post by Sir Raven »

Hi,

Actually no. The music of all the games I played in my life so far had nothing in common with the music I create. I do like some game tunes by Chris Huelsbeck, especially his Katakis and Turrican soundtracks on the C64, and Nobuo Uematsu's, Lost Odyssey music. And though I like hearing that music while playing games, I don't listen to it when not, and don't compose such kind of music. Though I actually have created a few video game tunes myself. I actually don't find working on game music as satisfactory as on my own music.

Cheers
Ted
Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse »

The Commodore 64 was a great little computer, my favorite bulletin board back in the early 80's was hosted on a C64 and it enabled me to communicate with the rest of the world, it wasn't almost instant like today's internet, but it was fun and enlightening.

I never programed or made any game music either, but it does make games a lot more fun :)

So Ted what kind of music have you made with you Fusion?

Would you like to share some with us here https://www.alesismusic.com/viewforum.php?f=18

Take Care ... Jesse