Updating the OS?

General questions about the fusion belong here.

Moderators: Jesse, parametric, jeebustrain

the synthman
Junior
Junior
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

Updating the OS?

Post by the synthman »

Hi. I'm new to the fusion. I bought one despite all the negative reviews. As nearly all of them related to the early version. Anyway back to my question.. I have the polymoog vox humana samples on board. I want to upgrade the OS from 1.23 to 1.24. But I'm worried updating it will over write my polymoog samples. Will it or will they stay?
Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Updating the OS?

Post by Jesse »

the OS update will not effect your samples on the hard drive only the OS will be updated, the on board ROM samples were updated in a previous OS version :)
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank
the synthman
Junior
Junior

Post by the synthman »

Thanks jesse.
I'm sure I read somewhere, (on this forum I'm sure) that OS 1.24 contains new rom bank 5, new presets and delete some presets or samples. And a bunch of olffer stuff Is this correct?
Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse »

Check this out for OS update facts http://www.promusicproducts.com/forum/p ... php?id=290

I belive what you are calling ROM bank 5 is Preset 5 and it is copied to the hard drive.
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank
the synthman
Junior
Junior

Post by the synthman »

Jesse. Regarding updating to OS 1.24. This was posted by Kpr in my thread "Fusion types?"

"With OS 1.24 several previously in the ROM stored samples were erased and got a new location on harddisk instead and the ROM 5 was created. As all additional Program Presets soundbanks and sample libraries are OS 1.24 based it's recommended to update a OS 1.23 Fusion unit. It avoids error messages when trying to load the concerned soundbanks and sample libraries as this happens with a OS 1.23 Fusion unit then"....

I have absolutely no idea what this means. I thought the sounds where a separate file & not included as part of the OS file?
Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse »

Synthman, it's best to update to OS 1.24 as it fixes some previous bugs :)
the synthman
Junior
Junior

Post by the synthman »

Ok. But I thought it only fixed the midi synth audio sync issue? Is there more to it then that then?
Sir Raven
Junior
Junior

Post by Sir Raven »

Hi,
the synthman wrote:With OS 1.24 several previously in the ROM stored samples were erased
I admire KPR's knowledge of the Fusion but he is wrong here. One cannot erase data out of a ROM unless it is flash or something similar (in the Fusion it isn't). The ROM stayed as it was but additional samples were stored onto the HDD while the referring sound programmes were changed to use these new samples instead of those in the ROM.

Ted
EXer
General
General

Post by EXer »

Sir Raven wrote:I admire KPR's knowledge of the Fusion but he is wrong here. One cannot erase data out of a ROM unless it is flash or something similar (in the Fusion it isn't).
Please gather information and check it before posting.

The Fusion ROM ***is*** in flash (if you wonder how I know, please see here).
Fusion 8HD Klaus Schulze + 2 x Sector101 EXM-E3 128MB DRAM modules ; original 80 GB HD replaced with a SSD
kpr
Advanced
Advanced

Post by kpr »

Wrong info.

Alesis even listed the moved samples in an extra documentation.

As explained keeping OS 1.23 is not recommended.

There are no samples in a Flash ROM, everything is located on the hard disc. They are script reference based, so any move of them affects Program Presets with different locations.

If anyone is in doubt about these facts: Ask Taiho Yamada who was one of the main developer. You can find him on facebook.
Rock´n Roll is music, not driving instructions.
EXer
General
General

Post by EXer »

And yet there are 2 different files :

Fusion_OS_v1.24.bin : 2824 KB, contains the OS only, can be uploaded with >system >upgrade >CF Card

Fusion_Image_v124.bin : 64001 KB, contains the whole ROM image (including the OS), can only be uploaded by holding down B & 7 keys while powering up
Fusion 8HD Klaus Schulze + 2 x Sector101 EXM-E3 128MB DRAM modules ; original 80 GB HD replaced with a SSD
kpr
Advanced
Advanced

Post by kpr »

That's it.

I was slightly incorrect in my above posted quote as there are not the samples in the ROM, but the script of their locations and this data is in the image file. Correct is "With OS 1.24 several previously in the ROM stored samples script references were erased and the samples got a new location on harddisk instead and the ROM 5 was created."

The mentioned list of the then moved samples is an Excel data sheet and everyone who was involved in the development got it.

Sorry for any mess.
Rock´n Roll is music, not driving instructions.
the synthman
Junior
Junior

Post by the synthman »

Hi. Thanks all for the advice given. My computer has no cf card reader so I'm going to load the file to my cf card in the fusion. Why are There 2 files, one that's just the OS & the other with both the OS & the ROM files. Are the ROM files the same ones that was included in the 1.23 update? Which one should I use? I'm just a tad confused as to which FILES I need to update,.
Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse »

Use the Fusion_Image_v124.bin
the synthman
Junior
Junior

Post by the synthman »

Jesse wrote:Use the Fusion_Image_v124.bin
ok thanks will this leave my user installed samples intact