Replace the internal Hard Disk with a CF Card?

General questions about the fusion belong here.

Moderators: Jesse, parametric, jeebustrain

Mighty
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

Replace the internal Hard Disk with a CF Card?

Post by Mighty »

Hi there,
a few weeks ago I purchased a Fusion 6HD. I love (and obviously at the same time, for the many mysteries it's providing: hate) it. If this thing would have been developed to perfection, it'd be a dream come true.
I want to use the Fusion in live shows to play back midi and audio tracks simultaneously. The orignal plan was to slave it's sequencer to my MPC 1000, but that didn't work out, because the audio tracks on the Fusion weren't in sync, no matter what I tried.
So now the Fusion runs the whole show and the MPC is slaved the Fusion, this way it works, though I'm loosing the excellent sequencer on the MPC with jjos2xl and have to live with the cumbersome sequencer on the Fusion. Don't like it, but it could be worse. I just transfer finished MIDI files from Cubase to the Fusion and insert some audio files, that's it.
Anyway, my point is: I want to avoid gigging with the old internal hard drive. The Fusion becomes hot, hard drives are not the most reliable thing on the planet, the fusion isn't either. I just want to rule out some danger.
Since replacing the hard drive with a SSD won't work - anyone ever tried by simply replacing it with a very fast CF Card? I could buy an CF-IDE Adapter, a lightning fast CD-Card with enough memory - and I'm settled?
Can someone confirm this?
Thank you very much!

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Replace the internal Hard Disk with a CF Card?

Post by Jesse »

I don't think anyone has tried the CF card yet, but it's worth a try especially since the CF cards are becoming faster, also it coild be installed for external access making it easy to create multiple CF cards for different gigs.

If you have an early model PSU in your 6HD they tended to overheat, the newer model PSU has larger heat sinks to keep the PSU cooler and reduce heat in the Fusion.

Jesse wrote:Great News! I called Akai Parts at 401-658-3131 ext 1407 to see if they had any PSU's for the MPC5000, he asked if I was sure that was the right part number, I said it's the same PSU that is in the Fusion, he said okay sounds like we have the right part. $98 dollars each +S&H, I ordered two. Part number SPSHA33R4-058N

This is the new version PSU, it's the same for the Alesis Fusion & Akai MPC5000.

When they arrive I will take a few pictures for reference and check all the voltage outputs for future reference and post the info here
https://www.alesismusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5933 6-13-2020 I uploaded a better photo of the PSU outputs here :)
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank

Mighty

Post by Mighty »

To use this adapter, so one can use it as an external drive is a great idea.
But I'm not too sure how to place the IDE-CF Adapter, so it could be reached from outside the fusion. In a 8HD there probably would be enough room for drilling a hole into the case, but my 6HD is rather full of things :) I'll have a look into these problem in a few weeks, I don't want to mess with the fusion right now with some shows ahead the next days.
But if it works out i think that would be an excellent substitution for the ssd-drive, everybody dreams of building into their fusion.

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse »

Don't forget abut the new version PSU (it will lower the temp inside your Fusion according to others that have installed the new version PSU), even if you are lucky enough to have it in your 6HD it would be good to have a backup while they are available.
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse »

Well, I guess I am about to embark on a journey to see if a CF card drive will work in the Fusion in lieu of a hard disk drive and if so is it worth it? :?:

parametric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by parametric »

Good luck with your endevour, Jesse.

If possible, see if it WILL record/play audio - and to what degree (1 - 8 tracks)

Even if a CF is NOT quick enough for this, the project is still valid - as many users will not require to record/play audio, and it may well transpire that the Fusion works well enough with a CF for use AS A SYNTH - rather than a "Workstation"

I am keen to try with a PATA SSD and will do so at some point, but they seem to be holding their price . . . . The price comes in at just under 100 quid which is a bit dear for an experiment . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KingSpec-2-5-12 ... 0745325553

This is the supplier I got my mini PCI-e SSDs from for my EEEPC 901 - and they are performing well . . . I even asked for - and got - a small discount for buying two at the same time . . . .

parametric
Alesis Fusions 8SSD + 6SSD/384Mb/120Gb SSD/Yamaha SY85/8.5Mb/1024kb/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash/Akai ADVANCE61/NI Komplete11 Ultimate/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu Mate 15.04/M-Audio MicroTrack

https://chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse »

I finally got around to building a new computer with a AMD A10 6800 APU, 32 GB memory, WD 1 TB VelociRaptor hd & 1 TB WD hd.
I installed a Sandisk 32 GB ssd drive ($48) as a cache drive to speed up boot time and loading applications, as a cache drive you
need win 7 or above OS on a pc., I am thinking of getting another one to use for the virtual memory (paging file)

I replaced the 32 GB SSD with a 128Gb SSD using 32 Gb with ready cache and all virtual memory on the SSD as well.

Attached is a PDF file with the specs for the CF card drive I will use - 6-13-2020 I searched some old drives and found the PDF, it's good now :)
IDE to Compact Flash Drive.pdf
IDE to Compact Flash Drive
(348.96 KiB) Downloaded 30 times

parametric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by parametric »

Sounds like that's a real beast of a machine, Jesse.

I must treat myself to something with a bit more horsepower some time. My partner Jan now has a better machine than me - and she only plays games + some email and browsing . . .

I'm still on AMD 64 3700+ 2.2Ghz with 2Gb Ram. No wonder Vista64 HPE/SP2 takes an age to boot - even with the 4GB Pen drive to help. Even the Nvidia GeForce GT6600 is still working fine.

It goes against the grain to OUT a working machine . . . . . but I feel like a treat . . . .

My last "Treat" was a Panasonic SV3700 DAT machine off of ebay for £50 (I still have some DATs from when I was working - that need transferring)

Best Regards

parametric
Alesis Fusions 8SSD + 6SSD/384Mb/120Gb SSD/Yamaha SY85/8.5Mb/1024kb/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash/Akai ADVANCE61/NI Komplete11 Ultimate/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu Mate 15.04/M-Audio MicroTrack

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse »

Sounds abit like my old pc AMD 64 3400+ 2 GB and XP, I will be going over it good then pass it on to my son as a recording machine for his music using Adobe Audition 3

I love to fix and build things it's a lot of fun, well some times it is not e.g. working on a modern motor vehicle is a pain in thee arse :)

parametric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by parametric »

Yes indeed. My PC is still reliable - but probably rather slow for Vista. Another nag is that I can't get drivers (That work) to enable the Gigabit LAN that it DOES have, so I'm stuck with 100mb.

On the motoring front, this recent experience of mine might hearten you . . . .

I recently helped my cousin fix his Merc. C250 Diesel. The auto Transmission is electrically controlled and needed a new electrical part inside the GB. No problem getting the part. Replaced the part no problem - but the fault remained - would not select beyond 2 . . . . .

Error code needed to be re-set. He bought a "box", a cheap laptop running XP and the diagnostic SW on ebay - and we cancelled all the codes we could find.

Took the beast for a test drive with me in the passenger seat with the laptop connected through the window to the diag socket under the bonnet (sorry - hood!)- and I had the pleasure of watching the auto transmission going up and down through he gears on the laptop screen. Completely fixed - and a rewarding experience - saving very much money . . . :D

My very FIRST experience of "Diagnostic Sockets" . . . 8)

Best Regards

parametric

Sir Raven
Junior
Junior

Post by Sir Raven »

I think I am going to try this. 32 GB CF card and adaptor are already waiting on my desk.

Saul
Publisher
Do you own a fusion?: No

Post by Saul »

I was wondering if you had seen this thread, Ted. It seems you did :) Will be very interested to hear about how it goes.
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Whites DFX 300mm!

Sir Raven
Junior
Junior

Post by Sir Raven »

Done. And it is working perfectly well right now. If I had known earlier how easy it is, I would have exchanged the HDD years ago.

Cheers
Ted

parametric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by parametric »

Hey Ted - that is great news . . . . It's always good to know about alternatives where the Fusion is concerned . . .

So the adaptor and CF Card are tucked away inside - where the HDD was? That is tidy. I'll bet it runs quieter AND cooler now?

Is the startup time similar to HDD?

I found that my SSDs didn't show the expected gain in speed . . . due to the legacy PATA controller, I guess . . . .

32Gb is plenty - and close to the original 40Gb - so unless you're using masses of Audio in the sequencer, it's not going to be a problem . .

Would be interesting to know if that arrangement could be externalised, like the resident CF Slot?

Then you could have a quick-change arrangement, if desired, without opening her up . . . . . . . . :wink:

Chris

Sir Raven
Junior
Junior

Post by Sir Raven »

Hi Parametric,

I just turned on my fusion to check noise and heat after a few hours of permanent usage (gonna run a song on it over and over again). So I cannot tell if the heat problem is solved, yet. But I took the opportunity to drill two holes in the side panel to allow hot air to be blown out of the Fusion. I am actually thinking about connecting the PSU's heatsinks to the chassis for better heat distribution.

It could be imagination but it feels like the startup time is a bit shorter now.

I expect 32GB to be enough though I am loading complete multisampled synthesizers up to it.

I am sure it can be externalised.
1. Placing it over the PSU and cut a slot into the side Panel.
If the CF adapter is not cased (such as mine) you would have to avoid short circuits with the PSU. To avoid short circuits with the chassis I glued a thin piece of foam rubber to where the HDD was.
2. Using the resident CF slot.
I did not have a closer look at it but it should be possible to attach the CF slot to the PATA connector using an adapter. Probably a bit of soldering required.

I am going to come back to this after finishing my heat development test.

Cheers
Ted