Backlight repair

General questions about the fusion belong here.

Moderators: Jesse, parametric, jeebustrain

THX1138
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

Backlight repair

Post by THX1138 »

Hi,
I turned on my Fusion 6HD on Sunday only to find the backlight has stopped working. I have read other posts regarding this problem and it seems the cause is 2 small circuit boards just under the display unit. I took my Fusion apart only to find these 2 circuit boards appear to be ok without any burnt out resistors or capacitors. However I did get a whiff of burning metal, solder the night I turned it on and the display backlight went out.

So my question is; Is it possible to replace the bulb only?
Is it any easy job?
Can I purchase the bulb seperately?

I have upgraded the RAM on my Fusion and found it difficult to unhook the white connectors on the circuit boards. Is there an easy way of disconnecting these boards or do you need a special tool?

I have contacted Alesis UK and they promised to send me the service manual but as yet no service manual.

Any help would be greatly apprecited.
crgl
Advanced
Advanced

Re: Backlight repair

Post by crgl »

I replaced both circuits and the display bulb went on again.
The problem was that a friend had cut the display bulb wire very near the bulb
assuming the bulb was damaged and couldnt solder it properly.
Eventually the bulb damaged also ( or so I think since I havent checked anything else ).
I use my Fusion very limitedly because of this.

I tried to get a new bulb but they wont sell you the bulb alone. You have to pay
for the whole display (!!!)

If I remember from memory, the white connectors werent that difficult to disconnect.
You just have to have a firm hand ( or fingers ) in both parts. Better if you do it with
two pliers.

If you find a bulb replacement PLEASE, notify me since that apparently is my problem.
Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse »

crgl wrote:I replaced both circuits and the display bulb went on again.
The problem was that a friend had cut the display bulb wire very near the bulb
assuming the bulb was damaged and couldnt solder it properly.
Eventually the bulb damaged also ( or so I think since I havent checked anything else ).
I use my Fusion very limitedly because of this.

I tried to get a new bulb but they wont sell you the bulb alone. You have to pay
for the whole display (!!!)

If I remember from memory, the white connectors werent that difficult to disconnect.
You just have to have a firm hand ( or fingers ) in both parts. Better if you do it with
two pliers.

If you find a bulb replacement PLEASE, notify me since that apparently is my problem.
Are you taling about the back light bulb? Is there any part number on the bulb?
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank
crgl
Advanced
Advanced

Post by crgl »

[quote="Jesse"

Are you taling about the back light bulb? Is there any part number on the bulb?[/quote]

Yes, the backlight bulb. No, there is no part number that I am aware of.
Alesis offered to sell the whole display.
THX1138

Post by THX1138 »

Just got a e mail from Alesis US saying they don't stock the bulb or ship to the UK so I am basically f***ed! £200 for a new bulb as Alesis UK don't have the bulb either. I now have to buy a new screen or try and find a compatiable bulb from a third party supplier and try to fit it my self. :x It ain't lookin good!
Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse »

THX1138 wrote:Just got a e mail from Alesis US saying they don't stock the bulb or ship to the UK so I am basically f***ed! £200 for a new bulb as Alesis UK don't have the bulb either. I now have to buy a new screen or try and find a compatiable bulb from a third party supplier and try to fit it my self. :x It ain't lookin good!
Did Alesis give you a part number or any info to help you find a bulb?
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank
THX1138

Post by THX1138 »

I have been in contact with instrumetalparts.com and asked if they stocked the bulb on the Fusion display. This is there reply;

The fusion is an LCD screen not a backlit screen. If your backlight only is out then the parts to change will likely be these 2 ....

http://www.instrumentalparts.com/9-79-0365.html
http://www.instrumentalparts.com/9-79-0366.html

This makes sense to me actually as the screen is an LCD so I shall be ordering these. Hopefully this will sort out my screen problem, also looks like an easy fix :)
crgl
Advanced
Advanced

Post by crgl »

THX1138 wrote:I have been in contact with instrumetalparts.com and asked if they stocked the bulb on the Fusion display. This is there reply;

The fusion is an LCD screen not a backlit screen. If your backlight only is out then the parts to change will likely be these 2 ....

http://www.instrumentalparts.com/9-79-0365.html
http://www.instrumentalparts.com/9-79-0366.html

This makes sense to me actually as the screen is an LCD so I shall be ordering these. Hopefully this will sort out my screen problem, also looks like an easy fix :)
Those were the circuits I ordered and they fixed the light but now the bulb is out again. If the circuits are burned again then replacing them do not seem like a permanent solution.
THX1138

Post by THX1138 »

I received an e mail from Justin Baro at Alesis US regarding purchasing a replacement bulb for the LCD display for my Fusion 6HD. This was his eply;

The Fusion display does not use a physical light bulb as it is a LCD display.

If the screen is not working ( and you have tried to adjust the contrast knob), it sounds like this needs to be serviced.

Our UK office can be contacted for servicing info at 1252 34 1400.

So there you have it, the Fusion doesn't have a back light bulb. This news is from both Alesis and Instrumental parts.

Hope this clears up any confusion.
crgl
Advanced
Advanced

Post by crgl »

THX1138 wrote:I received an e mail from Justin Baro at Alesis US regarding purchasing a replacement bulb for the LCD display for my Fusion 6HD. This was his eply;

The Fusion display does not use a physical light bulb as it is a LCD display.

If the screen is not working ( and you have tried to adjust the contrast knob), it sounds like this needs to be serviced.

Our UK office can be contacted for servicing info at 1252 34 1400.

So there you have it, the Fusion doesn't have a back light bulb. This news is from both Alesis and Instrumental parts.

Hope this clears up any confusion.
Can you please explain this ? I see it is an LCD display but it is back lit.

In fact, I have it right here in my hands and I can see the light and the reflector panel that
diffuses the light. Please explain.
THX1138

Post by THX1138 »

Well I haven't taken my Fusions backlight apart so I am just going on Alesis and instrumentparts replies to me and they're saying it does not have a bulb to light the screen so there must be hundreds of little LEDs or something else that gives the display it's light and not a bulb.
hope this helps.
crgl
Advanced
Advanced

Post by crgl »

THX1138 wrote:Well I haven't taken my Fusions backlight apart so I am just going on Alesis and instrumentparts replies to me and they're saying it does not have a bulb to light the screen so there must be hundreds of little LEDs or something else that gives the display it's light and not a bulb.
hope this helps.
No, that is not true. What you can control is the contrast in the LCD display but behind the LCD panel there is a diffuser and at the right of the display is the bulb light. Looks like a fluorescent light (white light).

I dont know why they told you that but it must have been someone who has never looked inside the Fusion display because it is very obvious that it is backlit.
THX1138

Post by THX1138 »

Well I have just ordered the two boards that you changed originally so I hope this will fix the problem otherwise I have just blown £40!
crgl
Advanced
Advanced

Post by crgl »

THX1138 wrote:Well I have just ordered the two boards that you changed originally so I hope this will fix the problem otherwise I have just blown £40!
Dont worry. You probably made the right decision since most people that I know have fixed their display that way, mine included.
The thing is that apparently it is not a permanent. Mine is again off and, in truth, I dont know if it is the backlight bulb but if it isnt, then the circuits are again burned. That is why I say that maybe it is not a permanent solution.

Good luck !
THX1138

Post by THX1138 »

Thanks,
I hope the parts arrive this week so I can get it done. I haven't used my Fusion for nearly 2 weeks now and I am getting withdrawal symptoms :wink: