Hello from the UK

New to the forum? Why not pop in and tell us a little about yourself??

Moderators: Jesse, parametric, jeebustrain

Kit
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

Hello from the UK

Post by Kit »

Hello everyone,
Just pulling up a chair to say hello. I live in the United Kingdom and am the owner of both the 6HD and an 8HD. I also have a working Polymoog 280a (which I stare at lovingly, more than play these days) and an Alesis SR-16 for beats.

Hope you are all well.

Best,
Kit

Saul
Publisher
Do you own a fusion?: No

Re: Hello from the UK

Post by Saul »

Hi Kit, welcome to the forum :)

Very nice situation to have both the 6HD and the 8HD. How long have you had them?
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Whites DFX 300mm!

Kit

Post by Kit »

Hi - the 6HD came first about ten years ago. Always wanted the 8HD (but also as a backup in case I lose the 6) and that arrived in 2017. I hear horror stories of dodgy psus and hard drives that die but never had a moments trouble with either (the 8 has the SSD retrofit and so loads sounds rapidly). I am thinking of selling one because I want a Behringer Poly D but my wife says something needs to give way and that won’t be my PolyMoog!! :)

Saul
Publisher
Do you own a fusion?: No

Post by Saul »

Only ever had the 6HD myself. Had three of them over the years but never any problems. Heat seems to play a big part but my keyboards were always well ventilated.

Always intended to buy the 8HD but usually, they come up at the same time as the money doesn't :lol:
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Whites DFX 300mm!

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse »

Welcome Kit, I have (3) 8hd's two working and one with a bad main PCB.

I have repaired the upper half of my non working 8HD connected it to the bottom half of one of my working 8HD's, ran the diagnostics and everything checks out good. I recently purchased a main PCB from a supposedly working 8HD that was disassembled and sold for parts so hopefully I will get my non working 8HD up and running :)

As far as SSD drives go:

The SSD drives don't speed up loading files into memory, I have a WD 120 GB HDD that actually is slightly faster than the SSD drives, this has something to do with the Fusion's IDE/PATA interface.

Where the speed comes from is once the programs are in memory you can access them faster, so if you have the expanded memory you can load more programs into memory and have faster access to them :)

The SSD drives do consume less power and probably produce a little less heat than a HDD drive and are more stable for transport if you gig or move the Fusion around a lot :)
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank

Kit

Post by Kit »

Thank you for the warm welcome.

parametric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by parametric »

Hi Kit - and welcome indeed . . . .

Like you, I also have both Fusions. I acquired the 6HD more recently . . . cost me £300 and only had

ONE problem with a non working key.

I opened her up to max out the RAM and do the SSD upgrade, and the problem was due to a contact strip

not fully bedded down. I removed it, cleaned the contacts and board, replaced it - end of problem.

What is a delight about having BOTH is that you simply copy the <Volume> folder from one SSD to the Other

and your done. In a little over an hour, my 6HD was clone of my 8HD with regard to content. Sweet.

Polymoog eh? THAT is in a class of it's own 8)

Where are you in the UK. I'm near Watford . . . Herts.

ATB

parametric
Alesis Fusions 8SSD + 6SSD/384Mb/120Gb SSD/Yamaha SY85/8.5Mb/1024kb/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash/Akai ADVANCE61/NI Komplete11 Ultimate/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu Mate 15.04/M-Audio MicroTrack

https://chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Kit

Post by Kit »

Thanks Parametric; I live in the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire. I bought the 6HD originally as a backup for my Poly as I had just listened to demos of the Vox Humana and Strings samples. To be honest, they blew me away. But it does sit nicely on top of her and at least as well as a Minimoog would, don't you think? :D
IMG_0949.JPG

parametric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by parametric »

THAT looks like a nice Clean Poymoog :D

As far as A:B comparisons go - I would say NOBODY is in a better position to confirm that Alesis did a

good job with those sounds . . . .

Actually - IIRC - Joeri Peeters did the original sampling, together with the late Steve Howell of HollowSun

and additional input by Klaus Rausch <kpr>. . . . .

So, the cream of the crop - in terms of Fusion Benefactors . . . . .

parametric
Alesis Fusions 8SSD + 6SSD/384Mb/120Gb SSD/Yamaha SY85/8.5Mb/1024kb/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash/Akai ADVANCE61/NI Komplete11 Ultimate/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu Mate 15.04/M-Audio MicroTrack

https://chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris