AlesisFusion Error's, Problems, Repairs, Upgrades, Utilities

This is the place to post if you are having problems with you Fusion.

Moderators: Jesse, parametric, jeebustrain

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

Re: Alesis Fusion Error Codes, Problems, Repairs & Upgrades

Post by Jesse »

Alesis Fusion & Akai MPC5000 E3 memory
Attachments
Samsung 256Mb E-die SDRAM Specification Sept 2003.pdf
(198.76 KiB) Downloaded 420 times
E3 Module_Samsung SDRAM.pdf
(438.55 KiB) Downloaded 446 times
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Alesis Fusion Error Codes, Problems, Repairs & Upgrades

Post by Jesse »

A collective group of Alesis Fusion Utilities from fellow Fusion users on the Fusion Zone and Fusion Club

6-14-13 updated and replaced download file (Alesis Fusion Utilities.rar) by adding two more files
Attachments
Alesis Fusion Utilities.rar
(737.12 KiB) Downloaded 562 times
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: AlesisFusion Error's, Problems, Repairs, Upgrades, Utili

Post by Jesse »

Fusion keyboard repair
Attachments
Alesis Fusion - Key Failing and Repair updated 7-2-2013.pdf
(805.36 KiB) Downloaded 385 times

jgbmusic

Post by jgbmusic »

Hi, new to the forum, although I've been checking it for years. I have an 8HD (original owner since around 2005/6) with an error code not on your list: 0x08040008 (SEng) "Device not Selected." Don't know the cause yet. Got the same error before and after replacing the hard drive.

Also, I checked and I'm still running OS 1.23. I'll try 1.24. And while I was verifying the code, I also saw 0x08040005 (SEng) "Bus not ready" (I think, definitely about Bus, but not sure about "ready.")

Thoughts are welcome!

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse »

jgbmusic wrote:Hi, new to the forum, although I've been checking it for years. I have an 8HD (original owner since around 2005/6) with an error code not on your list: 0x08040008 (SEng) "Device not Selected." Don't know the cause yet. Got the same error before and after replacing the hard drive.

Also, I checked and I'm still running OS 1.23. I'll try 1.24. And while I was verifying the code, I also saw 0x08040005 (SEng) "Bus not ready" (I think, definitely about Bus, but not sure about "ready.")

Thoughts are welcome!
Not sure, could be the hard drive IDE interface, check for loose connections, maybe corrupt OS/firmware.

Does the 8HD function alright other than that?

Let us know if the OS update helps.

P.S. You did format the hard drive using the Fusions hard drive format utility correct?

Welcome and thanks for the info.

Let us know if you discover the cause of the error and we will do the same.

Take Care ... Jesse

jgbmusic

Post by jgbmusic »

Thought of that--the IDE interface, loose connections, etc...so I opened it up and reseated the two hard drive connections (power and IDE). Now when it boots I get 0x0804000C (SEng) Device not confiugred. Make sense for an unformatted drive. So I go to Global -> Media, select Hard Drive, and press Format. It now identifies "FUSION HD" (it didn't even recognize the drive before reseating the cables just now). Press Format again. Press Yes on the Warning screen. Then I get 0x08040003 (SEng) FAT object not initialized. I thought this was just power-up time for the new drive. However, I waited a few minutes (more than enough time for even an OS to boot--even though I know there's no OS on the drive--it's brand new), and tried the Format routine again. No joy.

In short, I have not yet formatted the drive. And until I format the drive, my Macbook Pro won't recognize the Fusion as an external device onto which I can mount OS 1.24.

So any suggestions how to determine if the existing OS/firmware is corrupt? Then what to do? I'll keep looking around the web. Enjoy the remainder of your weekend!

~~Jason

parametric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by parametric »

Hi Jason,

Sorry to hear you are having problems.

These two .pdf files may help.

1. To install OS1.24
Alesis Fusion OS Upgrade.pdf
(216.34 KiB) Downloaded 382 times
2. To install sounds on your Fusion.
HD Volume Installation.pdf
Adding Programs
(1.72 MiB) Downloaded 386 times
Further to what the first pdf says, I think the Fusion is happy with a 4GB CF card.

The point with pdf1 is that you boot from the CF card and from what I recall, the HD is prepared and the OS installed on it . . .

Let us know how it goes and if we can help further . .

Best Regards

parametric
Alesis Fusions 8SSD + 6SSD/384Mb/120Gb SSD/Yamaha SY85/8.5Mb/1024kb/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash/Akai ADVANCE61/NI Komplete11 Ultimate/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu Mate 15.04/M-Audio MicroTrack

https://chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

jgbmusic

Post by jgbmusic »

Thanks for the feedback. I had seen both of those docs elsewhere in this forum, so no surprises. I was in sort of denial re: CF card, as honestly I've never used one--also, because in the Global settings, it seems to allow you to load an image from either CF or HD. BUT--clearly, I need to try CF as nothing else seems to work. Just need to dig out an older laptop that has a CF drive--as I'm assuming that the downloaded OS 1.24 .bin file needs to be copied to the CF card from a computer, then the CF moved over to the Fusion.

Or--can the CF card be accessed inside the Fusion via USB connection from the laptop? Don't think so, but thought I'd ask.

By the way, the boot errors mentioned earlier seem to have gone away now that I've reinstalled the original hard drive. Still want to upgrade the HD and the OS, which was what I was trying to do in the first place--but may stop once the OS is done. Might just leave well enough alone with the old 40Gb drive!

Thanks for your help! (both of you!)

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse »

parmetric is right you can use up to a 4 GB CF card, I updated that PDF, but if you install your CF card into the Fusion you may be able to see it on your computer by the usb connection and copy the OS 1.24 bin file to the CF card in the Fusion :idea: then use the CF card to upgrade the Fusions OS

I believe the Fusion OS is copied into the Fusion's firmware

parametric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by parametric »

Hi Jason,

The problem, this late in the day - is in sourcing an 80Gb PATA Drive.

Some users have also fitted 2.5" drives with a suitable adaptor (some feel, less noisy and cooler running)

Fusion OS 1.24 CAN format up to 128GB. A larger drive CAN be fitted (I believe) but will only be formatted to 120Gb irrespective of size.

I found this supplier http://www.oyyy.co.uk/product.php/10219 ... 87cd2847e3
who claims to have 300+ units left.

If you are in the UK - that's OK.

I'm pretty sure that is the drive they fitted in later fusions.

I managed to source 2 new bagged drives a while ago which I keep in readiness for when the Fusion HD Fails.

Let us know how it goes . . .

parametric
Alesis Fusions 8SSD + 6SSD/384Mb/120Gb SSD/Yamaha SY85/8.5Mb/1024kb/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash/Akai ADVANCE61/NI Komplete11 Ultimate/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu Mate 15.04/M-Audio MicroTrack

mstsfreak
Advanced
Advanced

Post by mstsfreak »

I have a couple of drives from older PC's as a backup, maybe that is a tip. :idea:

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse »

Additional hard drive sources

Western Digital WD Blue WD1600AAJB 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 / ATA-6 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 22-136-112

Western Digital Caviar SE WD800AAJB 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 / ATA-6 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 22-136-457

jgbmusic

Post by jgbmusic »

parametric wrote:Hi Jason,
Fusion OS 1.24 CAN format up to 128GB. A larger drive CAN be fitted (I believe) but will only be formatted to 128Gb irrespective of size.
Let us know how it goes . . .
parametric
I was able to pretty easily find a 160Gb PATA drive. However, that is the one that:

1. Seemed to be throwing most of the errors.
2. Also seemed to cause the Fusion to boot a LOT slower than my 40Gb OEM drive (even though the larger drive is blank?) Curious.

So now I'm back to the original 40Gb drive. I'm not a power user, so it's not a big deal--just wanted to beef it up because it *could* be done.

And just discovered that my older laptop does NOT have a CF drive. I have an older printer that does--maybe I can get the OS over to the CF that way. And, of course, I think it was Jesse that said it MIGHT work to try to reach the CF drive on the Fusion from a USB/Laptop, so maybe it can be dropped that way. Either way, need to acquire a CF card first :) That'll take a couple days via Amazon!

parametric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by parametric »

Just a quick thought . .

Check the jumpering of the Drive. It most likely needs to be set as MASTER (not Slave) . .

Jumper on your 40Gb might confirm . . .

Yes indeed the inserted CF should appear on your PC/Mac when you usb it to the PC. (Fusion then behaves as a MASSIVE card reader)

The OS file should just copy to the CF no prob.

Re: the 160Gb drive - perhaps it didn't get prepped properly so its not playing with a full deck, as it were. . . try it again when you have a CF and OS 1.24

parametric

jgbmusic

Post by jgbmusic »

I checked the jumpering before installing--this particular Western Digital drive defaults to Master with no jumpers. The OEM drive did have the jumper--I think in the first position. Good to know about the CF. Will let you know. Thanks once again!