AlesisFusion Error's, Problems, Repairs, Upgrades, Utilities

This is the place to post if you are having problems with you Fusion.

Moderators: Jesse, parametric, jeebustrain

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

Re: Alesis Fusion Error Codes, Problems, Repairs & Upgrades

Post by Jesse »

The Fusion Error Codes PDF at the beginning of this post has been updated

Thanks parametric
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank

mstsfreak
Advanced
Advanced

Post by mstsfreak »

parametric wrote:Hi Jesse - heres a different one for the collection.
fusion_screen_shot_001.jpg

Came on screen just prior to the end of the boot sequence. I'd been doing a lot in Song mode.
I OKed it away and I continued my work without problem.
Next time I started up - it appeared again. I OKed it and all appeared OK again.
I did a global verify, and it seems to have gone away.

Have been continuing with no problems so far

Best Regards

parametric

I have had this error also and it means that you have an audio track with no data in it in a song. Could also be an audiofile with no data.
So remove this empty audio track and/or file and the error should go away.

parametric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by parametric »

Thanks for that msts, (and Jesse please note . .)

You are CORRECT :!:

There are TWO empty audio tracks in the song, waiting for me to record the Fusion's synth output via Aux out.
I got interrupted and didn't do it yet, so they remained empty - and caused the error :roll:

Best Regards

parametric
Alesis Fusions 8SSD + 6SSD/384Mb/120Gb SSD/Yamaha SY85/8.5Mb/1024kb/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash/Akai ADVANCE61/NI Komplete11 Ultimate/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu Mate 15.04/M-Audio MicroTrack

https://chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse »

Similar, but not quite the same
parametric were you trying to play the song or did the errror code only come up after booting up the fusion?

Error Code 0x0806001E
Cannot find entry
Trying to play a song with empty audio tracks

Error Code 0x08060039
(Seng) Bad dotdot directory
A song with empty audio tracks
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank

parametric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by parametric »

I ocurred at the end of boot-up. I had to press <OK> to clear the message and then everything seemed fine.

The SECOND example you list is the clossest to what I had ( dotdot)

Best Regards

parametric
Alesis Fusions 8SSD + 6SSD/384Mb/120Gb SSD/Yamaha SY85/8.5Mb/1024kb/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash/Akai ADVANCE61/NI Komplete11 Ultimate/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu Mate 15.04/M-Audio MicroTrack

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse »

Key Failure & Repair by mstsfreak

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6259&p=33530#p33530
Link edited to work on the new Fusionzone website 11-15-2019
Attachments
Key failing and repair - Alesis Fusion.pdf
(57.61 KiB) Downloaded 453 times

jgassman

Post by jgassman »

Call me a dreamer, but I was just wondering if anyone has tried using larger memories to expand the SDRAM beyond the 64M+128M=192M (per engine) available using the E3 modules. It seems conceivable to me that simply replacing the Samsung memory devices on the E3 card with larger capacity devices (e.g., Micron MT48LC32M16A2) could double the expansion memory to 256M (per engine), or 64M+256M=320M total (per engine). The pinouts for these two devices appear identical. It seems that the only other factors that might keep this from working (or any other larger-than-128M expansion) would be how the memory interface and memory map are configured on the processor (TI OMAP, I believe). If anyone knows about these, or any other show-stoppers, please chime in.

I would be happy to test this out if anyone had an E3 module that didn't work, or better yet, a blank module with no memory chips installed.

Another avenue for exploring this would be if someone had schematics and mechanical dimensions for the E3 module. I can make a new card and install the larger memories and test it on my 6HD.

parametric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by parametric »

Hi jgassman - and welcome to the forums . . . .

Nothing wrong with dreaming - The Fusion IS a dream machine after all :D

Nice idea. My 8HD is maxed out with a couple of E3's which I did as as soon as I got it. I like to play with a full deck IYKWIM.

It may be possible to find out from the processor data sheets if it can address more ram.

Whether the OS will get in the way is an unknown. What IS known is that there won't be an OS beyond 1.24 anytime soon, unless they decide to open source it - which seems unlikely (which is a shame).

I'll take your word on the ability of the E3's to accept larger RAM chips . . . thats outside my areas of expertise . . .

What would the real benefits be? Larger sample sets for more realism? Holding more programs in ram? Less recourse to the HD . . . .

I'm gererally of the opinion that you can't have too much ram . . . :wink:

There is a guy called Brian Allen on another Forum I belong to (Yamaha Forums UK) who has successfully re-manufactured the non-volatile ram boards for the Yamaha SY-85 et al - for a very reasonable price. The originals, back in the day were HUGELY expensive - so hardly any were sold - which Yamaha took to be "lack of interest".
See them here http://www.sector101.fsnet.co.uk/syemb06.html

These are great modules - I bought two, and also his excellent "Sweet16" MCD64 card mod from 64k - to 16 x 64k - ALL excellent!

Whilst the E3s are not particularly cheap, they are available currently either as Alesis Fusion expansion, or I believe, a current Akai device uses E3s too.

The problem would be persuading someone to sacrifice one (or ideally two) to try . . . :roll:

Most who have them, wouldn't want to risk/lose them . . . .

A seperate issue I have been looking at (unsuccessfully - so far) is getting an SSD drive to work in the Fusion. The holy Grail for those who gig their Fusions . . . .

I tried an IDE <->Sata converted board with a Samsung 64GB SSD - but - no joy so far . . .

Lets see if any others chime in here with opinions . . .

Best Regards

parametric

jgassman

Post by jgassman »

Hey parametric,

Thanks for the thoughts and info.

It looks like the processors are TI C6713 (not TI OMAP as I stated earlier). A quick glance at the data sheet for this device says that its maximum addressable external memory is 512M. This 512M maximum would apply to each of the two engines. The current E3 module takes each engine to 192M. If no other memory devices hang off of the external memory interface (which I believe is the case here), then the whole 512M should be available for the SDRAM, though I don't know if the SDRAM is strictly for samples, or if it also houses program and data blocks. But again, configuration barriers could exist in the engine firmware. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE it if they would open source the firmware (or at least accidentally send me a copy), but I doubt that will ever happen. I have some ideas for new features, and I've seen plenty of other ideas on this forum.

For me, the benefits of larger RAM would mostly be less disk access during live performance between songs, and the ability to load larger, more realistic sample sets. For instance, some of the larger samples converted from GS3 might be nice to have access to.

I don't expect anyone to just send me one of their E3 modules, but if anyone out there still has one that doesn't work, that could be useful for this experiment. I see no reason why I would need more than one module to test this theory, since they are independently used by each of the two engines.

I looked for some info regarding the use of an SSD the day I got my 6HD. It looks like there are SSDs out there with native parallel ATA interfaces. One of these will be the next thing that I try, once my wife has forgotten about how much money I've spent on gear lately. It's conceivable that your IDE<->SATA converter is keeping it from working properly.

mstsfreak
Advanced
Advanced

Post by mstsfreak »

I was wondering if it would be possible to use a converter and install a CF-card or Sd-card instead of the harddrive. Has anyone tried this already?

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse »

mstsfreak wrote:I was wondering if it would be possible to use a converter and install a CF-card or Sd-card instead of the harddrive. Has anyone tried this already?
Not that I know of, but if you do let us know how it turns out.

With high speed CF & SD cards up to 32 to 64 Gb you could easily replace the hard drive and make it swappable, a different sd or CF card for different Gigs or functions.

jgassman

Post by jgassman »

mstsfreak wrote:I was wondering if it would be possible to use a converter and install a CF-card or Sd-card instead of the harddrive. Has anyone tried this already?
Even if it would work, everything that I've read on this topic (which isn't all that much) indicates that even the best CF or SD cards will be noticeably slower than an average HDD (which is what I would expect). So, nowhere near the performance of modern SSDs.

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse »

jgassman wrote:
Even if it would work, everything that I've read on this topic (which isn't all that much) indicates that even the best CF or SD cards will be noticeably slower than an average HDD (which is what I would expect). So, nowhere near the performance of modern SSDs.
Don't forget the IDE interface is the bottle neck and can only transfer data so fast, even if you could get an SSD drive to work on the Alesis Fusion you may not notice much gain in performance, maybe non at all?

At this point and time the expanded memory is your best perfomance gain allowing you to load more programs/data and quickly move from program to program by pressing 1 or 2 buttons!

jgassman

Post by jgassman »

Jesse wrote:Don't forget the IDE interface is the bottle neck and can only transfer data so fast, even if you could get an SSD drive to work on the Alesis Fusion you may not notice much gain in performance, maybe non at all?

At this point and time the expanded memory is your best perfomance gain allowing you to load more programs/data and quickly move from program to program by pressing 1 or 2 buttons!
That is a good point, especially if the drive is running in PIO mode.

However, while faster sample loads would be cool, I really want an SSD for a more robust system. I gig with my 6HD, and I always feel like I'm carrying around a box of fine china because of the relatively fragile mechanical drive. I think an SSD would give me one less thing to worry about.

parametric
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by parametric »

Hi jgassman,
jgassman wrote:However, while faster sample loads would be cool, I really want an SSD for a more robust system. I gig with my 6HD, and I always feel like I'm carrying around a box of fine china because of the relatively fragile mechanical drive. I think an SSD would give me one less thing to worry about.
Exactly.

As Jesse has said, the resident IDE interface sets the speed limit - which is not bad, on the whole . . . .

Of course, we'd all like faster - but . . . as you say, an SSD would improve "gigability" and remove most of the worry around trashing the HD with an inadvertant jolt agaist something hard.

I think most users would be happy with a system that works as well as the HD at present, and is as reliable, but with an SSD . .

Useability would also have to be confirmed with regards to the Audio Recording function of the Fusion . . . . .

It is my intention to re-examine SSD in the Fusion with a PATA drive, if I can find one - at some stage - but I'm busy with other stuff at the moment - so someone else might beat me to it :lol:

Best Regards

parametric