AlesisFusion Error's, Problems, Repairs, Upgrades, Utilities

This is the place to post if you are having problems with you Fusion.

Moderators: Jesse, parametric

Jokeyman123
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

Re: AlesisFusion Error's, Problems, Repairs, Upgrades, Utilities

Post by Jokeyman123 »

If these come in at a reasonable price, definitely good. My older supply definitely runs hotter than the newer with the bigger heatsinks, even with the fan. And doesn't take long to heat up either.
parametric
Administrator
Administrator

Post by parametric »

Jesse wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:26 am I believe I have found the manufacturer of the new version PSU used in the Alesis Fusion & AKIA MPC5000 and I am contacting them, I will follow up with any information I receive :)
THAT is great news Jesse. I always failed to find ANY info on the "Mystery" manufacturer of these. Alesis always said there was NO information

as it was an after-market product. Would be nice to get a dialog going with them, especially concerning HOW LONG these might be available.

InMusic (Alesis) USA claimed they had NONE LEFT - and directed people to InMusic Europe (which is in the UK).

I successfully ordered and received TWO PSUs from them - quite some time ago now . . .

I queried HOW MANY they had in stock at that time, but they would only admit to "A Lot" - so it's anybody's guess . . . .

I would advise any one who thinks they may need one - to order it sooner than later . . . . .

STILL no response from InMusic about my order for Fusion Spares placed 4 Months ago . . . . . . :roll:

Chris
Alesis Fusions 8SSD + 6SSD/384Mb/120Gb SSD/Yamaha SY85/8.5Mb/1024kb/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash/Akai ADVANCE61/NI Komplete11 Ultimate/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu Mate 15.04/M-Audio MicroTrack

https://chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

Chris-given the shipping to the US from the UK, and VAT-which I will possibly have to pay-I would order one from InMusic anyway if I really need one, but I will wait to see if Jesse can come up with something. A power supply is actually the least complex of the electronics in the Fusion. Shouldn't be too hard to have a manufactured supply. I will check all electronics and jameco-although i think I did this once already-good US source for cannibalized surplus electronics-but the pandemic screwed up everything.
parametric
Administrator
Administrator

Post by parametric »

Certainly would be interesting to know if InMusic USA is still declaring "No PSUs" and pointing you at InMusic UK (Europe). . . ?

If you buy from the UK, I would expect that you DON'T pay VAT as you are NOT UK resident . . .

What import duty the US Customs would consider, I have no idea, but I guess the chance to get a hand in your pocket won't be passed up?

I'm sure at SOME point, someone will look at the Age of the Fusion - and think "Do we really need to be making PSUs for this, any more".

We are the passionate ones - THEY, I fear, are not . . . . :think:

Let's hope Jesse turns something up . . . . :pray:

Chris
Alesis Fusions 8SSD + 6SSD/384Mb/120Gb SSD/Yamaha SY85/8.5Mb/1024kb/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash/Akai ADVANCE61/NI Komplete11 Ultimate/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu Mate 15.04/M-Audio MicroTrack

https://chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

If Jesse doesn't get anywhere with this-I will see if I can round up some parts-good rest of the summer project to keep me out of trouble-as if the Fusion hasn't been enough-its the transformer I'm having trouble finding with the right specs-there are IC board fabricating kits-I've etched a simple board or two years back-I might try putting one together myself. I don't have the capability to "manufacture' a bunch of these if i can assemble one-but if i can, I will have a "prototype" and might be able to knock off a few for anyone who needs them. Except for the 16V-which i believe provides a negative polrity to ground for the other positive voltages. I've made some simple plus/minus supplies from Craig Anderton kits which I needed for some of his devices which needed plus/minus voltages for op amps that needed dual supply rails. Craig was the editor of "Electronic Musician" magazine, I was a big fan of the mag and his articles for quite a few years and he his written excellent books about music and electronics-he is still active on a few music forums.

I can't believe-with all our technical advancements in 2021-I can't find someone who could prototype this supply and make one-but then in the immortal words of Moe Howard-"if I want to get something done, I have to do it myself!" OR-"I see I'm going to have to take some action!" These were my mantras to get through my last 10 years of teaching music in Moonachie, NJ!
Jesse
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jesse »

Jesse wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:26 am I believe I have found the manufacturer of the new version PSU used in the Alesis Fusion & AKIA MPC5000 and I am contacting them, I will follow up with any information I receive :)
I have tried to contact multiple branches of the company that made the PSU, but have not received a reply back from any of them, most emails I sent could not be delivered. Sounds like the company may have gone belly up :(

https://www.hec-group.com.tw/index.php?id=4
HEC PSU for the Alesis Fusion 6HD 8HD & Akai MPC 5000 1a
HEC PSU for the Alesis Fusion 6HD 8HD & Akai MPC 5000 1a
HEC PSU for the Alesis Fusion 6HD 8HD & Akai MPC 5000 1b
HEC PSU for the Alesis Fusion 6HD 8HD & Akai MPC 5000 1b
Tempus & Ludwig Drums, Roto Toms, Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire Mixer, AKG D112, Behringer B2, Shure Beta 58a Microphones, Windows 10, Audigy Soundcard, Audition 3, Sony MDR-7506 Headphones, Kontakt 6 & East West Goliath Sound Banks
Jesse
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jesse »

Jesse Smith <>
Wed, Jul 14, 1:48 PM (2 days ago)
to sales

Availability of switching power supply SPSHA33R4 built for Alesis Fusion 6HD & 8HD

HA33R4-058N 2005.05.24 B1-058HA330 9-79-0361 DCO-4905F20 F1.2

I am with the Alesis Fusion support group at https://www.alesismusic.com/index.php

Schematics and specs on this switching power supply would be useful so we can maintain the power supply for our

Alesis Fusion 6HD & 8HD workstation keyboards.

Sincerely, Jesse M. Smith

Mail Delivery Subsystem <mailer-daemon@googlemail.com>
Wed, Jul 14, 1:49 PM (2 days ago)
to me

Error Icon
Address not found
Your message wasn't delivered to sales@hecgroupusa.com because the address couldn't be found, or is unable to receive mail.
The response from the remote server was:
550 No Such User Here
Tempus & Ludwig Drums, Roto Toms, Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire Mixer, AKG D112, Behringer B2, Shure Beta 58a Microphones, Windows 10, Audigy Soundcard, Audition 3, Sony MDR-7506 Headphones, Kontakt 6 & East West Goliath Sound Banks
Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

I will see if i can fabricate and build one-I will use my current supplies as a model. Unlike so many advanced boards now-with firmware and other software programs embedded in the chips-a power supply "might be" relatively easy to clone. I will keep you all posted on what progress i may or may not make-if anyone else is reading this and wants to jump in-anything will be a help. I am in the US, so would prefer to try to source my parts from stateside-we certainly should have supply lines for standard components for this, although most everything has been curtailed, in some case dead in the water from the pandemic-including as Jesse and I now know-TSI in Midland Park, NJ. I know of several on the US West Coast/californai-but 2 Yamaha items i tried to send them for repair-were pretty useless.
Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

Jesse-I have contacted a company nearby called Rockleigh Tech-Rockleigh, NY about 50 miles from me-which company fabricates every conceivable type of power supply-including ones looking very similar to the Fusion-PCB, switching so-called "open" supply. I have requested they get back to me as to possibiility of custom-building one, or a run of these is not too costly (!) and I mentioned I can send what specs we have, schematics (I don't think that will violate anything) and photos, even one of my good supplies if they need it-I'd be willing to take the chance if we can get a new source for these. One other piece of info-when I checked the InMusic supply-running 145.00 US as i speak-it is the older supply with the smaller heatfins, not so good! I know as I have one new and one old supply in my 2 respective 8HDs with the 2 different size heatsinks. I also am researching powr supply kits, IC boards etc. if rockleigh Tech can't do this, or it becomes too costly to consider. Back outside now to finish painting my deck-hot enough to burn my hands out here today-must be over 100 degrees in the sun.
Jesse
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jesse »

I don't think we have a schematic of the PSU, but it would be nice if we did :(

Alesis outsourced it and I don't believe there is any info on it in the service manual :(
noelc

Post by noelc »

Thanks Jokeyman. Apologies for the delay in responding, we've had a bereavement here unfortunately. On the plus side, the Fusion 8HD is behaving itself after I disconnected and reconnected the ribbon cable to the SSD.

As for the PSU, with some indication of the specs (voltages, maximum current draw, tolerances, etc) it might be possible to design a replacement without sight of the original schematics.

Noel
Jokeyman123 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:02 am "Seng" is an abbreviation for "streaming engine" which is separate from the 2 voice engines-I think that voice engine is used for audio recording/playback rather than for playing the various sound engines-PM, FM, sampling and VA. Why you received an error message 2X and not a third-just a guess that this engine was still trying to access your non-compatible drives-possibly through left-over code in memory-until it caought up with your new SSD, could happen. As far as the power supply-in the US, check MPCStuff online, and Instrumental Music same. i think these are the same company with 2 different names-and not inexpensive. And this isn't the newer PSU with the larger cooling fins, this is the old style.
Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

D***!! Jesse you are right-I can't believe-I sped read the manual again-every single service board schematic is there-except the power supply! What the he***!!! No parts list either-I guess in my head-seeing the "to power supply" in every other schematic diagram-complete with voltages-though it would b a no-brainer to show the supply! What were they thinking? Even their techs would have needed to know this! Maddening-well I'll wait to hear from the supply techs in NY-see what they say. They definitely have supplies that look very close to what is already in our Fusions, all is not lost. I'll look to see if i can find schematics for the MPC5000 supply-maybe-maybe not.

Just did a quick online search-no I found the MPC5000 schematics, but like the Fusion, no power supply parts list or schematic-everything but. Geez, guess I will have to do this myself.
Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

Jesse-one last question for now-do you have this picture of the MPC5000 supply which lists the name of the company that made their version-is it the same ? It shows an address in of all places-Reno, Nevada. No wonder we can't get one! They lost the schematics in a crap game! I've attached the pdf-I don;t remember where it came from-probably yours anyway!
Attachments
New Fusion & MPC 5000 PSU.pdf
(242.18 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Jesse
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jesse »

Yeah that was mine. Those are pictures I took of the PSU's I purchased from Akai, the Fusion & MPC 5000 use the same PSU, E3 memory module's, LCD display, Inverter & Dimmer PCB's

When Alesis said they did not have any more PSU's for the Fusion I researched and found out that the Akai MPC 5000 is basically a mono Fusion without a key bed so I ordered two PSU's from Akai. Alesis was bailing out on the Fusion, but were still trying to push the Akai MPC 5000 and since they shared some of the same parts I was able to get them thru Akai. I have some spare Inverter & Dimmer PCB's also, but really don't have a use for them any more since you can replace the backlight with LED's :)

https://www.mpcstuff.com/mpc-5000-s5000 ... red&page=2
Does this look familiar ... think Alesis Fusion :)
EXPANSION DIGITAL PCB ASSEMBLY - AKAI MPC 5000
EXPANSION DIGITAL PCB ASSEMBLY - AKAI MPC 5000
Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

The kicker with the MPC parts-the connectors are not the same. I never heard from Powertech regarding my email request as to constructing a supply for us. I'll keep looking-possibly someone on YouTube might have a post showing their abilities to construct supplies-there's so much data there now-it is possible, I am boning up on my electronics notes from building supplies in the past. And anyone else reading this-Hadley, Drummond all of you that might see the value of finding someone who can build us a supply, if i can't build one (still intend to) steer me there, I'll do the rest. A power supply as I said-should be one of the simpler electronics projects, but then the Internet is not the wonderful source of technical info it was in the beginning-as more cr** is there than ever before-the serious tech people and nerds (meant as a compliment) seem to get more lost in the shuffle of ads, false information and other infinitely stupid stuff. Why this group, and a few others are so valuable for exchanging useful information, rather than dribble. Off the soapbox, had to get that ff my chest.