AlesisFusion Error's, Problems, Repairs, Upgrades, Utilities

This is the place to post if you are having problems with you Fusion.

Moderators: Jesse, parametric

Jesse
Administrator
Administrator
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

Re: AlesisFusion Error's, Problems, Repairs, Upgrades, Utilities

Post by Jesse »

Fusion Error Codes updated 6-21-2020.pdf
Fusion Error Codes list updated 6-21-2020
(144.46 KiB) Downloaded 125 times

From josemdavid on the Fusion Club Forum
https://fusioneer.proboards.com/thread/ ... des?page=2

Here's a new one, unfortunately:
0x01010009 Invalid voice firmware.

It started as intermittent and now only once every 10 or 20 boot attempts it does not appear.
When it appears, it freezes the Beast (there's a OK box but it's irresponsive).

I've filed a support request to Alesis, but no answer yet.

---edit---2020-09-20---
Got an answer from a company named InMusic Music Europe, apparently they're the support organization for Alesis in Europe. The answer was no help at all, they just pointed me to the manual and OS binary file in the Alesis web site.

In the mean time I was able to run a diagnostic (pressing 1 and 8 while turning on the Fusion) and it gives a Fail regarding Processor Memory and reports 0MB available on VEngine and VEngine 2. So this is definitely a memory problem, probably a fault in some chip.
Tempus & Ludwig Drums, Roto Toms, Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire Mixer, AKG D112, Behringer B2, Shure Beta 58a Microphones, Windows 10, Audigy Soundcard, Audition 3, Sony MDR-7506 Headphones, Kontakt 6 & East West Goliath Sound Banks
jiffy
Advanced
Advanced

Post by jiffy »

I may be talking out my arse, but perhaps you could try removing and reseating the memory chip(s).

Paul
Sir Raven
New User
New User

Post by Sir Raven »

Hi Jesse,

This Error can have multiple sources.
- The firmware is corrupted. Probable solution: Re-write the firmware.
- The firmware flash ROM is defective. Solution: New flash ROM.
- The pre-installed RAM is defective. Solution: New RAM chips.
- A heat problem (the most probable source of the issue). Solution: Exchanging the HDD with an SSD or CF card, drilling holes in the chassis (at the relevant positions).

For InMusic: They are not only the support org. for Europe, they are the owners of companies such as Alesis, Akai, Numark and so on. https://www.inmusicbrands.com/

Cheers
Ted

PS. I wasn't aware that I have an active account on fusioneer. So I just posted this directly there.
Jesse
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jesse »

A better solution to lower heat is to replace the old PSU with the new version of the PSU which replaced the small heat sink with a larger heat sink and modified circuitry.

When I tested the heat produced by the HDD and the SSD there was little difference measured on the PSU, the main significance of the SSD drive is it's not as susceptible to damage from being jostled around, which is good if you gig a lot with your Fusion.

The SSD does not load files any faster than a HDD.

The biggest gain in speed comes from increased E3 memory allowing you to load more sounds and retrieve them more quickly than any HDD or SSD.
Tempus & Ludwig Drums, Roto Toms, Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire Mixer, AKG D112, Behringer B2, Shure Beta 58a Microphones, Windows 10, Audigy Soundcard, Audition 3, Sony MDR-7506 Headphones, Kontakt 6 & East West Goliath Sound Banks
Jesse
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jesse »

jiffy wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:40 am I may be talking out my arse, but perhaps you could try removing and reseating the memory chip(s).

Paul
Hi Paul, unfortunately the original 64 mb of memory for each voice engine (if that's the culprit) is soldered onto the PCB :(
Jesse
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jesse »

If an additional whisper quiet computer fan were to be added to the Fusion to pull in cooler air it should have a replaceable filter on the outside to trap dust.

If dust was pulled into the Fusion and collected on the circuit boards you could be creating additional problems to correct.

By the way the Fusion does have good ventilation, the area of the top back of the keybed is open to facilitate air movement :)
Fusion airflow vent 01
Fusion airflow vent 01
Fusion airflow vent 02
Fusion airflow vent 02
Sir Raven
New User
New User

Post by Sir Raven »

Jesse wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:27 pmWhen I tested the heat produced by the HDD and the SSD there was little difference measured on the PSU, the main significance of the SSD drive is it's not as susceptible to damage from being jostled around, which is good if you gig a lot with your Fusion.

The SSD does not load files any faster than a HDD.
Fusions seem to be different there. After exchanging my HDD into a CF card there is quite a difference in heat production in my Fusion. Plus my Fusion boots up faster now - not very much faster, about 15 percent. If you take the PSU's temperature before and after a disk change, the taken temperature will always be the one of the PSU, so I wouldn't expect a difference at all.

Cheers
Ted
Jesse
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jesse »

Is this difference in heat between the HDD and the SSD based on actual measurements are just a sense of touch?
Is this a timed measurement or just a feeling that it boots up faster?

With ROM Preset 1 Holy Grail Grand Piano as the startup program my Fusion 8HD with a WD 160GB HDD formatted to 128 GB by the Fusion boots up and ready is to play in 43.47 seconds, this includes reading all the files in my volume folder which contains 15.3 GB’s of files.

One of my Fusion 8HD's with 160 GB WD HDD
One of my Fusion 8HD's with 160 GB WD HDD
fusion_screen_shot_001 HDD Info.jpg (42.42 KiB) Viewed 2512 times

When I open up my nonfunctional 8HD to replace the main PCB with a used main PCB that is supposed to be good I will do a lot of real time testing with temperature and speed tests on HDD, SSD, my IDE to SD adapter. I will also take photos of replacing the onboard battery.
So far, my original 8HD battery has held up for 15 years. The last time I checked the voltage was getting lower, but it is still functioning :)
noelc

Post by noelc »

Hi all,

To replace the ageing HD in my Fusion 8HD, I tried mSATA to IDE adapters and SATA to IDE adapters, both with the same "Device bus floating" error. If my memory serves me right, this means that all of the lines on the PATA interface are floating at 5V, with none pulled down to earth. Checking that at least one of the lines was not floating was the recommended way of determining if a disk was attached or not. So the adapters are obviously not presenting the correct signals to the IDE bus.

Thanks to Jesse's investigations on the matter, I finally invested in a KingSpec 128GB IDE SSD. When I installed it last week, it worked perfectly after I restored the contents of the filesystem over USB. Today I switched on my 8HD and received an "Seng Incompatible Device" error. Starting it up a second time, the error was still present. On trying it a third time, it booted without a problem. Does anyone have any idea what the cause might be?

On another note, is there a recommended source for the newer design of PSU? I'd like to get that replaced before it gives out on me.

Thanks!
Noel
Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

"Seng" is an abbreviation for "streaming engine" which is separate from the 2 voice engines-I think that voice engine is used for audio recording/playback rather than for playing the various sound engines-PM, FM, sampling and VA. Why you received an error message 2X and not a third-just a guess that this engine was still trying to access your non-compatible drives-possibly through left-over code in memory-until it caought up with your new SSD, could happen. As far as the power supply-in the US, check MPCStuff online, and Instrumental Music same. i think these are the same company with 2 different names-and not inexpensive. And this isn't the newer PSU with the larger cooling fins, this is the old style.

https://instrumentalparts.com/internal- ... er-supply/

Here is the MPC5000 version-this is what my newer supply looks like inside-note the larger cooling fins...but for 299.00 I don't think so. And this is a used one!!! I really think not. Just showing you for illustration purposes. And I'm not even sure if the connectors are compatible with the Fusion.

https://www.mpcstuff.com/internal-switc ... 5000-used/
Jesse
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jesse »

The picture of the PSU in the above first link is a picture of the Old PSU

The picture of the PSU in the above second link is a picture of the New PSU, but the price is totally ridiculous you could order one form vover seas and even with the high cost of shipping it would be less than $300 for that used one what a joke!

Check out this thread from the Fusion Club getting the PSU from Inmusic in England and using aPC ATX PSU in the Fusion :)
https://fusioneer.proboards.com/thread/ ... rts?page=3
Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

Jesse-would be nice to know how this op modified an ATX supply to 1) physically fit in the Fusion and 2) how he managed to modify the 16V feeds for 12V. I don't have much confidence this will work properly since the 16V supply rail is not just for the LCD, and its hard to determine if the LCD has already been modified for 12V as this op suggested can be done, and I would anticipate many software/memory/HD access errors if other parts fo the Fusion's circuitry were getting undervoltage. This needs more studying and unfortunately this user never followed through with any details. Most ATX supplies I've owned are larger than the Fusion has space for-great idea but since much damage can be done with a faulty or incorrectly installed power supply-I'm not using mine for experiments like this unless I can see more details, and follow-through to see if this poster's Fusion is still working properly. These Fusions are too rare to take a chance, especially siince the Fusion seems to be very touchy with faulty power supplies. And therer is also the question of amperages-will a computer power supply be supplying the proper amps required to drive the fusion's many circuits? Too much amperage, it will blow like a 426 hemi in a Volkswagen, too little and it will malfunction like a Volkswagen engine in a Hemicuda. Just my 2 cents.
Jesse
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jesse »

I sent iridium a message yesterday to follow up on what he had done, I am waiting for a reply back from him. I'll post what I find out when he gets back to me.
Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

Good, thanks! Downloaded some schematics from a few other power supplies-almost all brands only provide +12V, +5 and logic 3.3V as in the Fusion, so the sticking point is the 16V so far-I could easily adapt connectors-ordering parts to provide proper voltage rails to the various parts of the fusion via its connectors-might have to order a few connector to put something together-but for example a Triton power supply I found runs 75.00, and of course ATX supplies even less than that. No telling when my older 8HD supply will fail-so far so good, but yes anything over 100.00 US would seem excessive given we can create an alternative. My component-level and testing skillsg are up to it, would be really good if we can come up with a workable solution. One other question Jesse, and Parametirc if you read this post-had anyone ever contacted the developer at Sector 101 (sorry I don't remember his name) to see if he could re-create this supply-or even something better/cooler? Would be worth having I think if he could do a run-even a dozen or so-I'm sure there are other fusion owners who would buy one, even if just a backup-I for one would get at least one for that reason alone.
Jesse
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jesse »

We did, but power supplies are not something he develops :(

Alesis is not willing or able to provide any info on the PSU

I believe I have found the manufacturer of the new version PSU used in the Alesis Fusion & AKIA MPC5000 and I am contacting them, I will follow up with any information I receive :)