Cannot Upgrade Fusion OS At ALL!!!!

This is the place to post if you are having problems with you Fusion.

Moderators: Jesse, parametric, jeebustrain

AK-Jake
General
General

Cannot Upgrade Fusion OS At ALL!!!!

Post by AK-Jake »

Hi Folks-

I'm a new user to the forum, and also a new Fusion Owner. I picked up a brand-new Fusion 6HD 2 days ago from a music store in MD for $500. I was pretty stoked about that, especially since my Juno-G I own cost more than that used!!

I've been looking at the Fusion off-and-on for 2 years, and SERIOUSLY for the past several weeks. I've read TONS of info, lurked on here for a few weeks, etc. I know Fusions strengths, and I'm well-aware of its weaknesses (buggy OS, weak sound set being the two biggies for me). I decided to download OS 1.24 recently, and have been trying to upgrade my Fusion ever since I bought it a few days ago. It currently has OS 1.01 and Sound ROM 1.00.

For the life of me, I can't get this thing to upgrade!!!! I've done my fair share of searching online and I can't find any sort of instructions for the upgrade procedure...and this includes the OS 1.24 file and "update instructions" themselves!!!

My first attempt was to use the 1.24 install via USB "workaround" that I found on here. After several attempts, I gave up because it just wasn't working. It would find the new 1.24 BIN file (about 50% of the time, otherwise it'd just generate an error) and upload the OS, but when I'd reboot the Fusion, it'd default right back to the 1.01 OS. I finally caved and invested the $70 to buy a CF card and reader from Best Buy today. I copied the 1.24 BIN file to the CF card, stuck it in the Fusion, and went through the "upgrade process" (as best as I can figure out via that workaround/tip and the OS itself), but Fusion wouldn't find the OS file. It suddenly dawned on me that I needed to format the CF card for Fusion, so I did so and copied the OS file on to the main part of the now-Fusion-formatted card. (I put it in the default folder on the CF card...NOT the "Volume" folder.) Same thing: Fusion won't find the updater file on the CF card. I even went so far as to format the hard-drive, but that just took me back to 1.01 instead of a full erase, even!!!! The sound sets (including the problematic Hollow Sun) sounds were still there!!!!

Second problem: the Hollow Sun download files from the Alesis Website don't work in my Fusion. I've gotten them copied over just fine, but they won't play when I sellect them! I've followed all the install directions, which work great. When I select the HS sounds, the board locks up. Eventually it generates several errors one right after another:

"Error (0x07010003) (VEng) No return from Query"

followed by:

"Error (0x07010007) (VEng)"

Upon getting these errors, the board either locks up, or works normally, except that the sounds no longer play (as in the Alesis built-in programs). The only way I can get them to play again is to reboot the Fusioions, where as all things work fine. When I do this, if I was parked on an HS preset before before rebooting, that preset is shows up as the first sound. But when I try to change the presets, I get the above 2 errors.

I've even tried formatting the hard-drive!!! No such luck!

I know I'm a newb, but if someone could help me here, I'd sure appreciate it. The Fusion appears to be a great synth and I WANT to love it...it's just that the Fusion is playing hard to get.

Hopefully this post makes sense, as I'm extremely tired while typing it. Please feel free to ask any questions in advance. :)

Many thanks for any advice/walkthroughs you can give.

Thanks!

Not operationalI have a gig coming up in a few days that I'll be using this Fusion on, and I don't have a lot of time to fiddle around.
Hollow Sun
Extreme
Extreme

Post by Hollow Sun »

I don't know why you are having trouble updating to V1.24 but the fact that you're still on OS1.01 is the reason that the HS sounds won't load without barfing. They require V1.24 as they utilise new features found in the later OSs.

Sort your OS update out and the rest should all be fine.

I cannot believe someone sold you a Fusion with an OS that dates back to 2005. Jeeeezuz - no wonder Fusion hets such a bad rap from some if they've been buying them like this :roll:
The electricfingers
Advanced
Advanced

Post by The electricfingers »

To upgrade you need a Compact Flash,move the OS to the CF and Swich Off Fusion.
On Fusion while you press B+7(I think that was that),and wait for instructions.

Regards
Hollow Sun
Extreme
Extreme

Post by Hollow Sun »

You are correct Mr Fingers!
AK-Jake
General
General

Post by AK-Jake »

Dude, you guys are AWESOME!!!

I came home from work today utterly exhausted. I tried for over an hour to upgrade my OS (along with a good 4 hours over the previous 2 days), to no avail. I typed my original post above while I was falling asleep, scanned it quick to make sure it was somewhat coherent, then fell asleep for 4 hours. I woke up to the answer(s) I needed, and my Fusion is now upgraded to 1.24 with all the Hollow Sun soundpacks and freepacks.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE OS 1.24 MAKES!!!!!! The sounds went from sparse, attrociously cheesy and thin, to full and rich, with plenty of "substance." Not to mention that there's like double the original soundset. It's still filled with a bunch of attrocious and unacceptable sounds (any of the solo strings, for example)--HOLLOW SUN EXCLUDED--but I've gotta admit that I'm quite impressed with what this little board sounds like. Well worth the $600, and I haven't even started to delve into what it can do...I bought it just for its sound set to get away from the other "Big 3" keyboards I have in my rig.

Oh yeah, I'll be playing this thing live, and I'm going to spring for a Sweetwater Edition Fusion 8HD to put in my Studio along with my OASYS and other boards.

Thanks to Mr. Fingers, Steve, and all who chipped in! I'm very happy now!
Last edited by AK-Jake on Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hollow Sun
Extreme
Extreme

Post by Hollow Sun »

:)

Solo strings are usually pretty atrocious on almost every sample-based keyboard!

Glad to hear you're sorted.

Steve
AK-Jake
General
General

Post by AK-Jake »

Thanks, Steve.

I'll be ordering your Nebulae disc here very shortly. Your sounds are quite impressive. I realize that Fusion is a dead product, but if you're working on sounds, I'm thrilled. I'd love to figure out how to get an authentic "Jump" sound from Van Halen's "Jump." I've got a few sounds on various boards that are close but not perfect enough.

Keep up the good Fusion work (if there's more in progress)!
Current Synths: Roland Fantom G8; Korg Triton Extreme 88; Alesis Fusion 8HD; Yamaha Motif XS6; Roland Juno G; Roland SH-32; Roland AX-7 KEYTAR!!!!!
Hollow Sun
Extreme
Extreme

Post by Hollow Sun »

AK-Jake wrote:I'll be ordering your Nebulae disc here very shortly.
If you ARE going to spring for a Sweetwater 8HD, there's no need as they and I reached an arrangement such that Nebulae is bundled with SW Fusions.
The electricfingers
Advanced
Advanced

Post by The electricfingers »

This Forum is amazing!!
psionic
Extreme
Extreme

Post by psionic »

AK-Jake wrote:I'd love to figure out how to get an authentic "Jump" sound from Van Halen's "Jump." I've got a few sounds on various boards that are close but not perfect enough.
In Vstream's free bank sound A-5 is called "O Jump." Sounds pretty close to me, but I'm just going from memory. Knob 1 is assigned to Env Attack and is useful for the middle part of the song.
Hollow Sun
Extreme
Extreme

Post by Hollow Sun »

There's one in Hollow Sun #10 as well (from Alesis).
AK-Jake
General
General

Post by AK-Jake »

Vstreams free bank sound? Which one is that? Where would I get it? (If it's one of the ones off of Alesis' or Hollow Sun's websites, then I've got it, just have to install it.)

Thanks.
Current Synths: Roland Fantom G8; Korg Triton Extreme 88; Alesis Fusion 8HD; Yamaha Motif XS6; Roland Juno G; Roland SH-32; Roland AX-7 KEYTAR!!!!!
jiffy
Advanced
Advanced
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

Post by jiffy »

Last edited by parametric on Sat May 23, 2020 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed the link
ChristianRock
General
General

Post by ChristianRock »

Hey guys! Just wanted to say thank you for the information here. I didn't see the Turn On + Press B + Press 7 anywhere, and I've read the Fusion documentation.
Alesis should have a .txt along with 1.24 with these instructions!

Thanks again guys! I successfully went to 1.24 today!
Farid
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

Re: Cannot Upgrade Fusion OS At ALL!!!!

Post by Farid »

Hi Fusion People,

I come back to you with the nearly the same topic.
When I power on my fusion I have the message at the beginning , after he has finished load banks,
"(VEng)No return from Query error code: (0x07010003)"

I've formatted my HD and I made an update of the OS (with B+7) with out no success :-((

Is there some one have an idea how to solve this problem ?

Thanks for your support