AlesisFusion Error's, Problems, Repairs, Upgrades, Utilities

This is the place to post if you are having problems with you Fusion.

Moderators: Jesse, parametric, jeebustrain

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

Re: AlesisFusion Error's, Problems, Repairs, Upgrades, Utilities

Post by Jesse »

Fusion Error Codes updated 6-21-2020.pdf
Fusion Error Codes list updated 6-21-2020
(144.46 KiB) Downloaded 21 times

From josemdavid on the Fusion Club Forum
https://fusioneer.proboards.com/thread/ ... des?page=2

Here's a new one, unfortunately:
0x01010009 Invalid voice firmware.

It started as intermittent and now only once every 10 or 20 boot attempts it does not appear.
When it appears, it freezes the Beast (there's a OK box but it's irresponsive).

I've filed a support request to Alesis, but no answer yet.

---edit---2020-09-20---
Got an answer from a company named InMusic Music Europe, apparently they're the support organization for Alesis in Europe. The answer was no help at all, they just pointed me to the manual and OS binary file in the Alesis web site.

In the mean time I was able to run a diagnostic (pressing 1 and 8 while turning on the Fusion) and it gives a Fail regarding Processor Memory and reports 0MB available on VEngine and VEngine 2. So this is definitely a memory problem, probably a fault in some chip.
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank

jiffy
Advanced
Advanced

Post by jiffy »

I may be talking out my arse, but perhaps you could try removing and reseating the memory chip(s).

Paul

Sir Raven
Junior
Junior

Post by Sir Raven »

Hi Jesse,

This Error can have multiple sources.
- The firmware is corrupted. Probable solution: Re-write the firmware.
- The firmware flash ROM is defective. Solution: New flash ROM.
- The pre-installed RAM is defective. Solution: New RAM chips.
- A heat problem (the most probable source of the issue). Solution: Exchanging the HDD with an SSD or CF card, drilling holes in the chassis (at the relevant positions).

For InMusic: They are not only the support org. for Europe, they are the owners of companies such as Alesis, Akai, Numark and so on. https://www.inmusicbrands.com/

Cheers
Ted

PS. I wasn't aware that I have an active account on fusioneer. So I just posted this directly there.

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse »

A better solution to lower heat is to replace the old PSU with the new version of the PSU which replaced the small heat sink with a larger heat sink and modified circuitry.

When I tested the heat produced by the HDD and the SSD there was little difference measured on the PSU, the main significance of the SSD drive is it's not as susceptible to damage from being jostled around, which is good if you gig a lot with your Fusion.

The SSD does not load files any faster than a HDD.

The biggest gain in speed comes from increased E3 memory allowing you to load more sounds and retrieve them more quickly than any HDD or SSD.
Tempus & Ludwig drums, Roto Toms-Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire mixer, AKG D112-Behringer, B2-Shure, Beta 58a mics, Win10, Audigy soundcard, Audition3 & East West Goliath sound bank

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse »

jiffy wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:40 am
I may be talking out my arse, but perhaps you could try removing and reseating the memory chip(s).

Paul
Hi Paul, unfortunately the original 64 mb of memory for each voice engine (if that's the culprit) is soldered onto the PCB :(

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse »

If an additional whisper quiet computer fan were to be added to the Fusion to pull in cooler air it should have a replaceable filter on the outside to trap dust.

If dust was pulled into the Fusion and collected on the circuit boards you could be creating additional problems to correct.

By the way the Fusion does have good ventilation, the area of the top back of the keybed is open to facilitate air movement :)
Fusion airflow vent 01
Fusion airflow vent 01
Fusion airflow vent 02
Fusion airflow vent 02

Sir Raven
Junior
Junior

Post by Sir Raven »

Jesse wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:27 pm
When I tested the heat produced by the HDD and the SSD there was little difference measured on the PSU, the main significance of the SSD drive is it's not as susceptible to damage from being jostled around, which is good if you gig a lot with your Fusion.

The SSD does not load files any faster than a HDD.
Fusions seem to be different there. After exchanging my HDD into a CF card there is quite a difference in heat production in my Fusion. Plus my Fusion boots up faster now - not very much faster, about 15 percent. If you take the PSU's temperature before and after a disk change, the taken temperature will always be the one of the PSU, so I wouldn't expect a difference at all.

Cheers
Ted

Jesse
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jesse »

Is this difference in heat between the HDD and the SSD based on actual measurements are just a sense of touch?
Is this a timed measurement or just a feeling that it boots up faster?

With ROM Preset 1 Holy Grail Grand Piano as the startup program my Fusion 8HD with a WD 160GB HDD formatted to 128 GB by the Fusion boots up and ready is to play in 43.47 seconds, this includes reading all the files in my volume folder which contains 15.3 GB’s of files.

One of my Fusion 8HD's with 160 GB WD HDD
One of my Fusion 8HD's with 160 GB WD HDD
fusion_screen_shot_001 HDD Info.jpg (42.42 KiB) Viewed 605 times

When I open up my nonfunctional 8HD to replace the main PCB with a used main PCB that is supposed to be good I will do a lot of real time testing with temperature and speed tests on HDD, SSD, my IDE to SD adapter. I will also take photos of replacing the onboard battery.
So far, my original 8HD battery has held up for 15 years. The last time I checked the voltage was getting lower, but it is still functioning :)