Adding percussion/keyclick to organ programs w/control buttons

A place to request new features and such for the Fusion.

Moderators: Jesse, parametric

Jokeyman123
Do you own a fusion?: Yes

Adding percussion/keyclick to organ programs w/control buttons

Post by Jokeyman123 »

I have 2 keyboards which allow for dedicated buttons to add percussion or keyclick to any Hammond simulation-the Equinox actually has 2 percussion buttons to add more or less percussion and keyclick, as well as kicking in the leslie slow/fast setting. Also a Casio (!) XW-P1 that has the same dedicated buttons for percussion, very nice. I am wondering if anyone here can explain how this (punching percussion in/out) can be done (if it can be done) with the Fusion and its controls-I'd prefer being able to do it with the 4 T buttons although I understand these are "momentary" action buttons-or perhaps the 2 "S" series buttons which are not momentary-which apparently after scouring through so many programs-are not being used to their full capability (IMO-correct me of I am wrong, I want to be). I could struggle to find a way to do this on my own-but time has been short lately, and i am getting worn out learning 15 years of Fusion in 2-3 months worth of work!!!!-My bad yes, but still would appreciate the help. I'd imagine I could install a sample or 2 of a percussion attack or keyclick and tack this on a program, since it is (I think) possible to program multiple sounds in one program, or a multisample. :D
Jesse
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Adding percussion/keyclick to organ programs w/control buttons

Post by Jesse »

I'm not sure if this will help any, but it may point you in the right direction :)

https://www.alesismusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=6734

https://www.alesismusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2130
Tempus & Ludwig Drums, Roto Toms, Djembe, Bongo's, Ibanez Bass, Fusion8HD, SUMO300 Amps, Alesis16 Firewire Mixer, AKG D112, Behringer B2, Shure Beta 58a Microphones, Windows 10, Audigy Soundcard, Audition 3, Sony MDR-7506 Headphones, Kontakt 6 & East West Goliath Sound Banks
Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

Hmmm...stil need a little more "push" here but thinking I create a "tone" or program that is a uniform "keyclick" sound across the keys-and layer this with the Hammond sound, then somehow use one of the T or S buttons to switch this click layer on and off. Will have to study this some more. Looks like I need to learn how to assign the T and S buttons to various functions which i have not studied much...so far. Thanks Jesse.
kpr
Advanced
Advanced

Post by kpr »

Although the Fusion is especially good for simulating an organ, not too much has been done for factory voicing. Probably my "Fusion Organ" sample library is the only consistent implementation of such an idea.

You have to be familiar with the modulation matrix and it needs to create a concept if you want to assign the percussion to the controllers. The SW buttons can be suitable for this, but you can also use the control knobs. This is generally volume control for percussion, and with the control knobs you can even control the volume and length of the percussion.

The Fusion Rotary Speaker effect is unfortunately not very well done, if you provide it externally for example with a Neo Ventilator or Electro Harmonix Lester K, then you don't have to worry about it and then there one more controller left for the organ simulation. For example, for more drawbar sets that can be assigned with the controllers. Here you can listen to it all, how this controller implementation works in practice.

For the audio tracks, I controlled drawbars via control knobs; I hadn't thought of turning percussion on and off at the time. But this is basically the same approach.

Rock´n Roll is music, not driving instructions.
Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

Thank you for responding KPR-I'm a big fan of your programming expertise for the Fusion and have installed everything we have here, incredible programming work, the best I've seen anywhere and I'm not a beginner. I've developed some programming chops on my old SY77, a Korg DSS-1 sampler and Generalmusic workstations-Equionox and SK76, as well as the original Sequential Circuits Pro-One, the Casio CZ series years ago and now this one.

Apparently mastering modulation routings is the key to opening up the T and S buttons, but I'm understanding that you are saying it's probably more effective to use the knobs which can be set to bring oscillators in and out-I can see several sounds use this technique. I would still need to create a percussion or keyclick (not the same sound) as one oscillator sound as part of a "program" and then connect that particular oscillator to one of the knobb, i think. is that correct? i will study some of the organ programs and see if I can suss out how this has been done, as i think I was playng a few organ tones that had mod routing connected to at least one oscillator, whilst the other knobs were bringing in and out levels of effects returns. Not too handy yet with modulation routings, there are so many possibilities it is a bit complex. Then there is the Andromeda, whch looks like a very similar design, but with dedicated knobs to control modulation patches, which I do not have to study.
kpr
Advanced
Advanced

Post by kpr »

Your experience with all these instruments will make it easy for you to understand the Fusion Modulation Matrix and use it accordingly. The Controller set is not only useful for Organ simulation, also Vintage Keys and all kinds of other instruments can be made pretty lively with it. The Modulation Matrix is actually the key to the inner workings of the Fusion, it also took me a while to understand everything there.

Maybe my "Analogic System" PDF is an inspiration for you to bring the sounds you already have in top form, if they are still missing something. In "Analogic" I've standardized the controller assignments so that everything is assigned the same controller for each preset.

https://bitr-store.de/wp-content/upload ... ions-1.pdf
Rock´n Roll is music, not driving instructions.
Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

Thank you Klaus, yes it will be helpful. Thanks to you, Jesse, Chris and all the other developers/musicians, creative minds here I was encouraged to explore and restore these Fusion workstations, even this late in the game. After all, there are many musical instruments that are still held indisputably inspiring and beautiful to play and hear-several hundred years old. A few Fusion years here and there-don't seem all that significant in the larger scheme. Enough philosophy, just trying to say i appreciate your work and support here.
Jokeyman123

Post by Jokeyman123 »

Just a bit of followup-I did discover a few factory organ programs that use the S1/S2 buttons to add a keyclick sound-by using one of the sampled organ multisamples as an oscillator-and switching that oscillator in and out. The effect is rather subtle, why I didn't notice it before now. Also used to bring in a different organ sample similar to bringing in another drawbar on 1-2 organ programs so the feature is there. KPR-I'm sure you know all this already, its a new function for me and very useful.

Modulation routings on this definitely require quite a bit of studying and use to understand how these work. I still haven't quite figured out which settings can be controlled with the T-buttons except for some octave switching in and out. Sure wish Alesis had given a few better examples in the reference manual, would have made this easier to apply. There is so much interaction, so many possibilities, makes it pretty complex to see clearly exactly what is happening without patch cords. Several different controllers for example, can be set up to control one effect or modulation route. And not all routings are available depending upon what you want to do. The manual clearly describes-different engines (FM. VA, sample etc.) all have variations on what modulation routings will be available. So still have alot of work to do on this, have made some progress.